Thread: Bad gateway / DNS Problems...

Bad gateway / DNS Problems...

can some one please tell me how to override the DNS look up in windows XP... there are a few sites i visit regularly.. but now for past few days i cant open up a few of them.. everytime i type in the url and hit enter... i straight away get this erroe message..

Bad Gateway
    The following error occurred:
    [code=DNS_HOST_NOT_FOUND] The host name was not found during the DNS lookup. Contact your system administrator if the problem is not found by retrying the URL.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please contact the administrator.

Now i think tht my ISP has got certain problems with the DNS server ..and isnt able to resolve the hostname...

if u guys think tht its something else..pls let me know.. and if it is the same thing.. then please tel me how to over ride the DNS look up... i have tried putting the ip address of the sites in my hosts file but no use...

pls help..
    [shadow][gloworange]there are 10 types of people in this world,
    those who understand binary...and those who dont.[/gloworange][/shadow]

Open up Network Connections. Select your Connection, Properties, select TCP/IP, Properties, From there you can set your preferred DNS, Gateway, whatever.

Just remember, your ISP gave you those settings for a reason.

If you screw things up. just go back to using DHCP for everything.

(I actually had to do this on my home network due to our odd configuration.)
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Thanks for the help....

hey can u tell me any servers i can put in there instead of the default one...

These are the DNS servers run by Verizon.
    I don't know if they'll work for you. It's all I could name off the top of my head. (I'm at work right now.)
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

yeah they are working ... but still the problem remians the same....

Okay i'll tell u the exact thing....

i use www.gawab.com for webmail services... but now when i try opening it .. some times it opens. but most of the times(8 out of 10) it gives the same error... even if i manage to log in without the error and then try to open inbox or any other link .. again the same stuff...

i dunno if there is any settings i need to change in my p.c. or something else... the same problem exists with some other sites too...even google sometimes hangs up...

if i remove the "www." prefix..in the url sometimes it works, and some times i have to add it again for the same site to work... dunno whats wrong....

if i use the IP addresses of the sites.. it works fine....