Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's a BackDoor?

Talking What's a BackDoor?

Hi all

What is a Backdoor?
    How does it work?
    How to find out the Backdoor present in the system? Both Unix and Windows.

Stay Tuned

Talking What's a BackDoor?

Hi all

What is a Backdoor?
    How does it work?
    How to find out the Backdoor present in the system? Both Unix and Windows.

Stay Tuned

A backdoor is basically a very generic term for a way for an intruder to get in to another system. It can work in a number of ways, either being left in code, or a trojan, etc. Well, you last question is a little tougher. If the backdoor is a trojan, then chances are it will show up on a virus scan. But if it is embedded in the code of a legitimate app (wasnt there one in redhat a couple years ago, pirhana or something?) then you might have a problem, because it will be a little harder to find. Google it. Sorry, i gotta go to school.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

A backdoor is basically a very generic term for a way for an intruder to get in to another system. It can work in a number of ways, either being left in code, or a trojan, etc. Well, you last question is a little tougher. If the backdoor is a trojan, then chances are it will show up on a virus scan. But if it is embedded in the code of a legitimate app (wasnt there one in redhat a couple years ago, pirhana or something?) then you might have a problem, because it will be a little harder to find. Google it. Sorry, i gotta go to school.

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Just Another Geek
    It's the same as a house. A house has a front door. This door is usually well protected and locked. The backdoor is sometimes left open.

But seriously it's a small program that listens on a certain port and it gives the bad guys a way to enter your system without being blocked by the normal security measures.

There's a way to find out what port is 'listening'. You can use the same command on *nix and windows:

netstat -an look for ports that have the status LISTEN.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Just Another Geek
    It's the same as a house. A house has a front door. This door is usually well protected and locked. The backdoor is sometimes left open.

But seriously it's a small program that listens on a certain port and it gives the bad guys a way to enter your system without being blocked by the normal security measures.

There's a way to find out what port is 'listening'. You can use the same command on *nix and windows:

netstat -an look for ports that have the status LISTEN.
    Oliver's Law:

So, If i see some suspecious ip as LISTENING, how do I stop it ?

1 more total newbie question :
    What do u mean by LISTENING, TIME_WAIT, ESTABLISHED, and CLOSE WAIT ?
    XNikon
    please don\'t visit www.BusyTalk.com

XNikon
    please don\'t visit www.BusyTalk.com

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by XNikon
    It depends what is listening. On windows you'll need a utility called fport. On Freebsd (maybe linux too) you can use the command sockstat. Both commands will tell you the process that is listening on that port.

These are the states a tcp connection can be in.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q137984
    http://www.faqs.org/docs/iptables/tcpconnections.html
    Oliver's Law:

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by XNikon
    It depends what is listening. On windows you'll need a utility called fport. On Freebsd (maybe linux too) you can use the command sockstat. Both commands will tell you the process that is listening on that port.

These are the states a tcp connection can be in.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q137984
    http://www.faqs.org/docs/iptables/tcpconnections.html
    Oliver's Law: