Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's a BackDoor?

I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

No offense, but this sort of question is common.

Its just well ummm english and common sense. If you think about it whats a frontdoor? its a door in your house, and then whats the backdoor? its another door in your house you us to get in from also...

Same thing applys to computers, you have your usual login methods etc... and then you my have the attacks method of getting in...i.e a backdoor.

backdoors as already said can be in a program or some means of exploiting the software already on the system, it depends on what context you use the term backdoor as to what it means.

some programmers leave backdoors in things so that they can go back and change things, this isnt common practice but it has been done. Crackers use special backdoor programs that they ever write them selves or download.

i2c

No offense, but this sort of question is common.

Its just well ummm english and common sense. If you think about it whats a frontdoor? its a door in your house, and then whats the backdoor? its another door in your house you us to get in from also...

Same thing applys to computers, you have your usual login methods etc... and then you my have the attacks method of getting in...i.e a backdoor.

backdoors as already said can be in a program or some means of exploiting the software already on the system, it depends on what context you use the term backdoor as to what it means.

some programmers leave backdoors in things so that they can go back and change things, this isnt common practice but it has been done. Crackers use special backdoor programs that they ever write them selves or download.

i2c

Someone mentioned FPort, I thought I'd mention the location to download it.

http://foundstone.com

Click on resources at the top, then click on free tools on the left, then click on intrusion detection and there you go. It's a command line program, so you need to be in a command window to run it.

Someone mentioned FPort, I thought I'd mention the location to download it.

http://foundstone.com

Click on resources at the top, then click on free tools on the left, then click on intrusion detection and there you go. It's a command line program, so you need to be in a command window to run it.

Yeah. Like slick and Sir Dice said, a backdoor can allow crackers/intruders to get into your computer. i also heard backdoors can be worms but thats probably old news. if your backdoor's opened and a cracker finds it. whoa ur obviously in big trouble. especially if you use cable or dsl for internet.

Yeah. Like slick and Sir Dice said, a backdoor can allow crackers/intruders to get into your computer. i also heard backdoors can be worms but thats probably old news. if your backdoor's opened and a cracker finds it. whoa ur obviously in big trouble. especially if you use cable or dsl for internet.

Well, erm. let's try to clarify this, because you all even have me confused.

What is a Backdoor
    SirDice gave a good explanation of this, so I won't touch on it further.

How does it work
    At this point the mechanics of how they work would probably confuse you. Again, SirDice explained this very well.

How to find out the Backdoor present in the system
    All the tools mentioned will work, but any antivirus that is up to date will do essentially the same thing. That's a simplistic remedy, but we'll leave it at that for now.

What do u mean by LISTENING, TIME_WAIT, ESTABLISHED, and CLOSE WAIT ?
    http://www.petri.co.il/quickly_find_...open_ports.htm

This will give you an explanation better than I can, plus a small lesson on using netstat.

No offense, but this sort of question is common
    Not always. Sometimes we have difficulty remembering that there really are people out there that want to learn about security, and are not just skiddies trying to social engineer exploits.

i also heard backdoors can be worms
    Actually, the "payload' of the malware can be a backdoor; that is, worms, viri, rootkits, or spyware can have, as part of their program, a means to open a backdoor. And although the term 'trojan' probably gets misused more than anything, a trojan is something that looks like one thing, but is really another. Nowadays, I would classify a trojan as mainly email attachments that, for example, have naked pictures of Anna Kournikova, but really contains a keylogger (or other malware).

Well, erm. let's try to clarify this, because you all even have me confused.

What is a Backdoor
    SirDice gave a good explanation of this, so I won't touch on it further.

How does it work
    At this point the mechanics of how they work would probably confuse you. Again, SirDice explained this very well.

How to find out the Backdoor present in the system
    All the tools mentioned will work, but any antivirus that is up to date will do essentially the same thing. That's a simplistic remedy, but we'll leave it at that for now.

What do u mean by LISTENING, TIME_WAIT, ESTABLISHED, and CLOSE WAIT ?
    http://www.petri.co.il/quickly_find_...open_ports.htm

This will give you an explanation better than I can, plus a small lesson on using netstat.

No offense, but this sort of question is common
    Not always. Sometimes we have difficulty remembering that there really are people out there that want to learn about security, and are not just skiddies trying to social engineer exploits.

i also heard backdoors can be worms
    Actually, the "payload' of the malware can be a backdoor; that is, worms, viri, rootkits, or spyware can have, as part of their program, a means to open a backdoor. And although the term 'trojan' probably gets misused more than anything, a trojan is something that looks like one thing, but is really another. Nowadays, I would classify a trojan as mainly email attachments that, for example, have naked pictures of Anna Kournikova, but really contains a keylogger (or other malware).