Thread: HD noise and memory

HD noise and memory

my RH9 box is really struggling to do basic tasks, opening a broser takes 10 secs, getting a web page on broadband should not take 15secs

when an application is opened the hard disk make so much noise (not mechanical) until the application is up and running then it stops. this can go on for 30 seconds at the worst.

i have 128mb memory but 122mb is used and 3mb is free when i look at the system proc read outs

what is causing this prob as she never used to be like this??

even scrolling up and down has the same effect....

i did notice that x windows was using 100mb when i moved open windows about

any thoughts?
    like life, this is a test

HD noise and memory

my RH9 box is really struggling to do basic tasks, opening a broser takes 10 secs, getting a web page on broadband should not take 15secs

when an application is opened the hard disk make so much noise (not mechanical) until the application is up and running then it stops. this can go on for 30 seconds at the worst.

i have 128mb memory but 122mb is used and 3mb is free when i look at the system proc read outs

what is causing this prob as she never used to be like this??

even scrolling up and down has the same effect....

i did notice that x windows was using 100mb when i moved open windows about

any thoughts?

Perhaps a runaway process? Have you run 'top' to see what's happening during that time?

Perhaps a runaway process? Have you run 'top' to see what's happening during that time?

will try top

will try top if i can get to the consol as everything grinds to a halt

doing it now......
    nothing really serious

it happens for example when the spell check on this site loads the HD goes nuts or when my conformation of new email waits till the sound has loaded every thing grinds to a halt until the sound is played, you know what i mean?? (i hope i am making sence)

will try top

will try top if i can get to the consol as everything grinds to a halt

doing it now......
    nothing really serious

it happens for example when the spell check on this site loads the HD goes nuts or when my conformation of new email waits till the sound has loaded every thing grinds to a halt until the sound is played, you know what i mean?? (i hope i am making sence)

It sounds like your system is just busy using swap. You only have 3MB of RAM available before or after you start your browser? If before, then that would explain a lot. When it runs out of free RAM, it'll use swap space.

It sounds like your system is just busy using swap. You only have 3MB of RAM available before or after you start your browser? If before, then that would explain a lot. When it runs out of free RAM, it'll use swap space.