Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a dumb guy networking

Question a dumb guy networking

Ok, well first off, I'm new here so go easy on me .

I was wondering if its possible to use a wireless router on a computer (with dialup) to have a connection with another computer. I live out in the boonies so no dsl or cable . I was wanting to be able to have two computers online with 1 phone line and was wondering if there was anyway to do that. Thanks guys.
    - The Kid Niki

Question a dumb guy networking

Ok, well first off, I'm new here so go easy on me .

I was wondering if its possible to use a wireless router on a computer (with dialup) to have a connection with another computer. I live out in the boonies so no dsl or cable . I was wanting to be able to have two computers online with 1 phone line and was wondering if there was anyway to do that. Thanks guys.
    - The Kid Niki

you can definitely use a router to network two computers, you do not need internet access to do this. unfortunately you cannot have a computer online and use your telephone at the same time with a dial up connection.

ps: welcome to ao!
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

you can definitely use a router to network two computers, you do not need internet access to do this. unfortunately you cannot have a computer online and use your telephone at the same time with a dial up connection.

ps: welcome to ao!
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

Banned
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...et/default.asp

thats one of 5 pages...good info for netowrk newbies....

PS Welcome to hell...erm AO j/p

Banned
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...et/default.asp

thats one of 5 pages...good info for netowrk newbies....

PS Welcome to hell...erm AO j/p

Yes, you can share a single dial-up internet connection between multiple computers.....just don't expect much speed from it.
    What opperating systems are the computers running, what hardware are you working with? (i.e modems, NIC cards, routers....)
    If using windows, there's always Internet connection sharing.

Good luck.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

Yes, you can share a single dial-up internet connection between multiple computers.....just don't expect much speed from it.
    What opperating systems are the computers running, what hardware are you working with? (i.e modems, NIC cards, routers....)
    If using windows, there's always Internet connection sharing.

Good luck.
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

I use one phone line for the computer dial up and one for the telephone. Could I connect both of them on one line in that case? I use AOL (I persist my parents to switch ISPs), will that be a problem with the internet connection of the network? Also, how would I go about setting up the network so I could file share and stuff.

Thanks for the welcome !
    - The Kid Niki

I use one phone line for the computer dial up and one for the telephone. Could I connect both of them on one line in that case? I use AOL (I persist my parents to switch ISPs), will that be a problem with the internet connection of the network? Also, how would I go about setting up the network so I could file share and stuff.

Thanks for the welcome !
    - The Kid Niki