Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: a dumb guy networking

Alright I'll keep all that info in mind. Thank you guys/gals a lot, you've been a great help. I hope to see you around the forums more!
    - The Kid Niki

Alright I'll keep all that info in mind. Thank you guys/gals a lot, you've been a great help. I hope to see you around the forums more!
    - The Kid Niki

Originally posted here by annihilator_god

hold the connectors next to each other and look at the sequence of colors on the wires. If the sequence is the same on both, it's a standard network cable. if 2 wires are switched then it's a cross over.

Here's what my cross over cable's wires look like:
    |1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|
    |w|o|w|b|w|g|w|B| - First connector
    |w|g|w|b|w|o|w|B| - Second connector
    (w = white)(o = orange)(b = blue)(g = green)(B = brown)
    The orange and green wires are "crossed"
    Please remember that most cable manufactures tend to use their own color scheme.
    I'm just curious, we made some cables in my A+ class (we took cables with no connectors, put wires in order and straigthened, then attached connector to in with crimper tool)
    If I were to switch the wires around accordingly before applying the connector would it then be a cross over cable, or would I get to much cross talk for the cable to be usable?
    Faqt

If you want to make God laugh....make plans.

Originally posted here by annihilator_god

hold the connectors next to each other and look at the sequence of colors on the wires. If the sequence is the same on both, it's a standard network cable. if 2 wires are switched then it's a cross over.

Here's what my cross over cable's wires look like:
    |1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|
    |w|o|w|b|w|g|w|B| - First connector
    |w|g|w|b|w|o|w|B| - Second connector
    (w = white)(o = orange)(b = blue)(g = green)(B = brown)
    The orange and green wires are "crossed"
    Please remember that most cable manufactures tend to use their own color scheme.
    I'm just curious, we made some cables in my A+ class (we took cables with no connectors, put wires in order and straigthened, then attached connector to in with crimper tool)
    If I were to switch the wires around accordingly before applying the connector would it then be a cross over cable, or would I get to much cross talk for the cable to be usable?
    Faqt

It is my understanding that as long as you switch those 2 wires, it becomes a cross over. But I'm not sure if there would be any loss in data integrity. I've never created a network cable, but I watched a friend of mine set the wires in the connectors.

As far as the diagram from my last post goes... I was looking at the connector from the bottom. That is, the tab is at the top and I was looking at the opposite side. Sorry, but I don't remember the pinout of the network cards. I need to go through my books again.
    You are so bored that you are reading my signature?

It is my understanding that as long as you switch those 2 wires, it becomes a cross over. But I'm not sure if there would be any loss in data integrity. I've never created a network cable, but I watched a friend of mine set the wires in the connectors.

As far as the diagram from my last post goes... I was looking at the connector from the bottom. That is, the tab is at the top and I was looking at the opposite side. Sorry, but I don't remember the pinout of the network cards. I need to go through my books again.
    You are so bored that you are reading my signature?

Windows even provides a method to set up internet connection sharing (ICS), check it out in creating a new network connection using my network places

i2c

Windows even provides a method to set up internet connection sharing (ICS), check it out in creating a new network connection using my network places

i2c

To use microsofts Internet Connection sharing, insert your windows XP disk, choose to perform additional tasks, share an internet connection, then use the wizard that opens to create a network disk, insert the network disk into the client computer and run it.

yes, that is microsoft Internet connection sharing. You can run it from network places, network connections or the xp cd.
    Faqt

To use microsofts Internet Connection sharing, insert your windows XP disk, choose to perform additional tasks, share an internet connection, then use the wizard that opens to create a network disk, insert the network disk into the client computer and run it.

yes, that is microsoft Internet connection sharing. You can run it from network places, network connections or the xp cd.
    Faqt