Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harmful if swallowed

Harmful if swallowed

Warning: These Labels May Be Unnecessary
    Product Warnings That Go Too Far in Preventative Measures

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/2020/..._040528-1.html

May 28, 2004 — Warning labels just keep getting stupider all the time. For instance, the label on one fishing lure says, "Harmful if swallowed." Wouldn't you think people would know that without having to be told?

group called Michigan Lawsuit Abuse Watch tracks the worst, like the warning on those shades people put on their windshields to keep their cars from getting hot when parked in the sun. The shades have a label that says: "Remove shade from windshield" before driving the car.

Here are a few other winners:

1. Hair Dryer: "Never use while sleeping."
    2. Birthday Candles: "Do not use soft wax as ear plugs."
    3. Power Drill: "Not intended for use as a dental drill."
    4. A CD Holder with wires half an inch apart: "Not to be used as a ladder"
    5. Garfield Back Massager: "Do not use while unconscious."
    =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

if you think this is just humorous:

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

But that didn't matter. Karen's lawyers had her in a panic. "Wal-Mart was being sued, Cabela's and Bass Pro were being threatened with lawsuits," said Karen. "The brass lures going into California did not have a warning label to not eat them."

gota love california
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

The problem is that in America if you don't put these warnings on (some other ones are "do not place your head inside the appartus whilst it is switched on" for ovens and "do not stand on this object to paint the ceiling" for a fridge) the manufacturers get sued when some idiot uses them for that purpose. It's so stupid, they should have a common sense law that says "if you do something which the reasonable person would not with this product, then tough luck". Then again, thinking of the reasonable person in America...
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

I hate to say this pwaring - but it's not only in America - don't know if you saw this BBC news item yesterday

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3753065.stm

don't know if its me or what but - it seems that a lot of people just try to take the piss a little bit too much these days
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Hmmmm,

May 28, 2004 — Warning labels just keep getting stupider all the time. For instance, the label on one fishing lure says, "Harmful if swallowed." Wouldn't you think people would know that without having to be told?
    Good job the fish can't read

The best one I have seen is on Claymore mines:

"This side towards the enemy"

The extent people will go to for money

It makes me sick that if someone breaks into my house, and happens to "bump into" my sword they can sue me or file charges
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers

Well, some people just need the money so they look for something not on the warning label and do it. Look at the Kobe Bryant case (don't know if it's over yet, don't keep track of it) but the women is charging him of rape but they took some of her underwear for research and discovered she had sex with 2-3 different men that same night, so it's not sure if it was Kobe or some other guy. Chances are she framed him and people want to do the same to big companies.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Originally posted here by Zonewalker
    I hate to say this pwaring - but it's not only in America - don't know if you saw this BBC news item yesterday
    I'd forgotten all about that, I read about it in the Metro on Thursday (or Friday). It makes me laugh that he has broken the rules and is now complaining about being punished. I found this strange though:

The University is running a pilot scheme which uses plagiarism detection software to analyse student work.
    Manchester University has been running this for at least a year, and longer still I imagine (apparently they can now automatically search google for similar essays as well as comparing with the work of other students). I would have thought Kent wouldn't be so far behind as to only be piloting such a system now.

BTW, for anyone who finds these cases truly stupid, I recommend watching "The Man Who Sued God" starring Billy Connelly. Not only is it absolutely hilarious, but it points out the stupid points of law such as how insurance companies get away with paying up on the excuse of "Act of God".

LOL I like this one: "Garfield Back Massager: Do not use while unconscious." Funny stuff.

This sort of thing reminds me of the McDonalds lawsuit where a lady spilled coffee on herself and sued them.

http://www.vanfirm.com/mcdonalds-coffee-lawsuit.htm

mjk

The McDonald's case was different though, the coffee shouldn't have been that hot or at least had a warning on like most very hot products. They don't need a warning saying "don't spill this on yourself" but they do need something like "caution: contents may be very hot" (and I think they now have this on their coffee cups).