Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IE 6.0 - Major help needed

Another option that works for me is Ad Aware. The free version has to be manually run but it works very well removing the type of stuff you have indicated that you have.

You can download it from

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Make sure you update the reference file before you run it (kinda like virus software).

If you want to spend a little money the PRO version prevents the bad stuff from ever getting to your computer.

Hope this helps

m2
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

Another option that works for me is Ad Aware. The free version has to be manually run but it works very well removing the type of stuff you have indicated that you have.

You can download it from

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Make sure you update the reference file before you run it (kinda like virus software).

If you want to spend a little money the PRO version prevents the bad stuff from ever getting to your computer.

Hope this helps

m2
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    My Internet Explorer home page has been changed and I can't change it back permanantly
    what exactly has your default homepage been changed to? Alot of the times, this can help isolate who exactly the culprit (spyware/adware) is. For example, CoolWebSearch is easily identifiable because of the default homepage it changes your browser to.
    Granted, running SpyBot S&D or AdAware will find and (generally)eliminate these little bastards for you, but sometimes you may need to download specific removal tools for some of the more stubborn programs out there.

Also, for future reference, try Spyware-Guide.com
    It's a very informative site to help people better understand spyware/adware.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    My Internet Explorer home page has been changed and I can't change it back permanantly
    what exactly has your default homepage been changed to? Alot of the times, this can help isolate who exactly the culprit (spyware/adware) is. For example, CoolWebSearch is easily identifiable because of the default homepage it changes your browser to.
    Granted, running SpyBot S&D or AdAware will find and (generally)eliminate these little bastards for you, but sometimes you may need to download specific removal tools for some of the more stubborn programs out there.

Also, for future reference, try Spyware-Guide.com
    It's a very informative site to help people better understand spyware/adware.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

For starters, CA eTrust Antivirus is total crap. Get some real anti-virus software running on your box ASAP.
    Being as you're probably busy I know its unlikely you'll answer this JP - but I'm going to ask anyway. Other than your own personal dislike of eTrust Antivirus why do you think its crap? All the reviews of it I have read reckon it detects and contains the usual gamut of viruses ok - some reckon the distribution tools could be better etc. However despite having a look on Google I've not really been able to find anyone who has a major gripe (with the exception of the below) with it other than personal taste

I know this vulnerability
    http://www.securitytracker.com/alert...b/1009074.html
    has been found and yes that is fairly major (nothing a sensible AUP wouldn't fix IMO) but whats your take?

I'm not trying to start a flame here or anything I'm just interested in your opinion and any insight you can offer

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

For starters, CA eTrust Antivirus is total crap. Get some real anti-virus software running on your box ASAP.
    Being as you're probably busy I know its unlikely you'll answer this JP - but I'm going to ask anyway. Other than your own personal dislike of eTrust Antivirus why do you think its crap? All the reviews of it I have read reckon it detects and contains the usual gamut of viruses ok - some reckon the distribution tools could be better etc. However despite having a look on Google I've not really been able to find anyone who has a major gripe (with the exception of the below) with it other than personal taste

I know this vulnerability
    http://www.securitytracker.com/alert...b/1009074.html
    has been found and yes that is fairly major (nothing a sensible AUP wouldn't fix IMO) but whats your take?

I'm not trying to start a flame here or anything I'm just interested in your opinion and any insight you can offer

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

IE 6.0 Home Change

Go to the McAfee website at www.mcafee.com and search for Exploit-ByteVerify. My VirusScan picked it up this morning.
    I am here to chew bubblegum, and kick ass... and I\'m all out of bubblegum

IE 6.0 Home Change

Go to the McAfee website at www.mcafee.com and search for Exploit-ByteVerify. My VirusScan picked it up this morning.
    I am here to chew bubblegum, and kick ass... and I\'m all out of bubblegum

homepage hijacks ? only hijackthis will totally fix that..

and registryprot and scriptsentry are two good tools to help prevent stuff like this in the future. search AO for links to hijackthis and the others..I just posted a few links in another spyware thread and now I'm too lazy to link you up.. plus my kid is begging to get online..
    damn.. I shouldn't of gotten rid of my second phone line.. (woe is me, the dialup user)

Originally posted here by JP
    Greetings:

You ever get the impression people don't read the entire thread before they reply?

(hrm, wonder if GW will sick the FCC on me for that? If not for that, definately for this one: )

JP, ditch that backwoods trick your with, and lets run away and have illegitimate bastard childeren. It will be total bliss.