Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: No need for a firewall or anti-virus application after the fact

Are you forgetting that many people here asking security questions are home users who have no concept of computer security, anti-virus or firewalls?
    Nope.. thats why we are here. To educate users about the risk of the internet.

Are you saying that a person who puts their Windows Platform computer on the Internet with no anti-virus or firewalls from the beginning - their computer isn't already hackable? By this time, a Backdoor or Trojan Horse is already set-up and there is no looking back. Also, the hacker may have already installed a keylogger so what the hell is password protecting going to safeguard you from?
    Ok, I'm starting to see your point.

But, let's say you have a box that has run for a year w/o updates, a firewall, AV, or spyware cleans. First off, I would run 3 different virus scanners in safe mode. (Were talking windows here). Then I would install NIS and NAV, because I am familiar and they have served me well. After this, I would run Ad aware and spybot in Safe mode. I would run Hijack this To make sure there are no other keyloggers or viruses or hijacks that boot up. So any viruses that make it past the AV, wouldn't make it past HiThis. After that, a Windows Update. Then I would change all my passwords, and be confident in using that computer myself.
    Edit- I'd throw the cleaner in there as well.
    Edit- and Fport.
    Edit- and Ethereal.

Are you saying that a person who puts their Windows Platform computer on the Internet with no anti-virus or firewalls from the beginning - their computer isn't already hackable? By this time, a Backdoor or Trojan Horse is already set-up and there is no looking back. Also, the hacker may have already installed a keylogger so what the hell is password protecting going to safeguard you from?

Ok, I'm starting to see your point.

But, let's say you have a box that has run for a year w/o updates, a firewall, AV, or spyware cleans. First off, I would run 3 different virus scanners in safe mode. (Were talking windows here). Then I would install NIS and NAV, because I am familiar and they have served me well. After this, I would run Ad aware and spybot in Safe mode. I would run Hijack this To make sure there are no other keyloggers or viruses or hijacks that boot up. So any viruses that make it past the AV, wouldn't make it past HiThis. After that, a Windows Update. Then I would change all my passwords, and be confident in using that computer myself.
    Edit- I'd throw the cleaner in there as well.
    Edit- and Fport.
    Edit- and Ethereal.

Bare with this tired chic please. The cost your talking about with purchasing software is not worth it to spend. Formatting a hard drive and installing from CD-ROM is quicker and faster. Remember, we're talking about people who have no Windows or Security knowledge. The secret behind malicious activity is to embed/stegnograph "FILES" and many of these files are the personal files on your hard drive that most users want to install back on their systems. Trojan cleaners are worthless in my books. Ran a system with 17 Trojans on it and the Cleaner didn't find one damn one of them. Ask me something else, this is beyond your comprehension.

BTW- I just set up a quickie website for listing ports and their assignments. It's at:
    www.geocities.com/tracker_1box

Trackit

Bare with this tired chic please. The cost your talking about with purchasing software is not worth it to spend. Formatting a hard drive and installing from CD-ROM is quicker and faster.
    Allright, screw NIS and NAV.. its not a big deal. Kerio, Zone alarm (I don't suggest ZA) Sygate, Tiny are all free. Housecall is free. AVG is free. Fport, cleaner, ethereal are free.
    [quote]
    The secret behind malicious activity is to embed/stegnograph "FILES" and many of these files are the personal files on your hard drive that most users want to install back on their systems.
    I think you mean polymorphism?
    Remember, we're talking about people who have no Windows or Security knowledge.
    It's not too hard. Probably quicker than a new install too.
    Ran a system with 17 Trojans on it and the Cleaner didn't find one damn one of them.
    Thats why you run multiple AV's, and Hijack This! (forgot to mention), and Fport and such.

Ask me something else, this is beyond your comprehension.
    Naw thats alright.

http://www.geocities.com/tracker_1box

ever hear of the word format, its completely ureadable edit-- or just go to the original http://thaicert.nectec.or.th/paper/f...ll/portref.txt

"The secret behind malicious activity is to embed/stegnograph "FILES" and many of these files are the personal files on your hard drive that most users want to install back on their systems."

They have to be extracted and then executed , pretty useless and pointless
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots