Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partition Management

Partition Management

I've heard from some people how they use their partition and i'm curious that they install things at such a special way.

Given 3 partitions

they will use
    1st parition for os like WinXp etc... using NTFS
    2nd partition for installing WinXp applications like photoshop, etc. and data storage for documents etc... using FAT32
    3rd partition is for other os like linux.

And they comment that this way of paritioning would save time when formatting windows and skip installing the application all over again. and there's no need for ghosting.

My question is: when any application installs itself to the operating system, it create registry keys in the os and configuration details on the os. After formatting the operating system, it would lose all the registry keys created by the installer and config files are lost. Would it affect the behaviours of the applications without the registry keys and config files?

Partition Management

I've heard from some people how they use their partition and i'm curious that they install things at such a special way.

Given 3 partitions

they will use
    1st parition for os like WinXp etc... using NTFS
    2nd partition for installing WinXp applications like photoshop, etc. and data storage for documents etc... using FAT32
    3rd partition is for other os like linux.

And they comment that this way of paritioning would save time when formatting windows and skip installing the application all over again. and there's no need for ghosting.

My question is: when any application installs itself to the operating system, it create registry keys in the os and configuration details on the os. After formatting the operating system, it would lose all the registry keys created by the installer and config files are lost. Would it affect the behaviours of the applications without the registry keys and config files?

Yeah, I imagine that reformatting your "OS" partition would pretty
    much trash the apps installed on the other partition, for the reasons
    you stated. However, you could still benefit from storing your own
    documents, music, and other projects on a second partition,
    because, chances are, this stuff is irreplaceable. You can always reinstall
    your programs.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Yeah, I imagine that reformatting your "OS" partition would pretty
    much trash the apps installed on the other partition, for the reasons
    you stated. However, you could still benefit from storing your own
    documents, music, and other projects on a second partition,
    because, chances are, this stuff is irreplaceable. You can always reinstall
    your programs.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

2nd question running linux on a 5400rpm hdd does the performance differs alot on running on a 7200rpm hdd

2nd question running linux on a 5400rpm hdd does the performance differs alot on running on a 7200rpm hdd

AO French Antique News Whore
    I use 4 partition..

1) OS (That it)
    2) Programs
    3) Music
    4) Data (Install Files, Backup, etc)

You could merge 1 and 2 together and 3 and 4 together. I just like to see a lot of letter.

Performance don't take a huge hit from 5400rpm to 7200rpm. I don't think your eye will noticed anything.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

AO French Antique News Whore
    I use 4 partition..

1) OS (That it)
    2) Programs
    3) Music
    4) Data (Install Files, Backup, etc)

You could merge 1 and 2 together and 3 and 4 together. I just like to see a lot of letter.

Performance don't take a huge hit from 5400rpm to 7200rpm. I don't think your eye will noticed anything.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

On servers I typically use 2 partitions.
    1 for the OS and the other for programs/data for those times that the OS gives up the ghost. Doesn't happen a lot but I did have it happen one day by simply changing the DNS settings. Oh, the things said about M$ that day!

On clients, it all goes in one partition. If I have something that is "irreplacable", I back it up.

On servers I typically use 2 partitions.
    1 for the OS and the other for programs/data for those times that the OS gives up the ghost. Doesn't happen a lot but I did have it happen one day by simply changing the DNS settings. Oh, the things said about M$ that day!

On clients, it all goes in one partition. If I have something that is "irreplacable", I back it up.