Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Security Software

That all said, the best security tools is the human brain.
    This has to be the most intelligent and truthful statement I've heard all year.

Actually, the best defense is to kidnap MsMittens and make her guard your computer for you.
    Yeah, you'd think that right? Shiiit I would
    Space For Rent.. =]

That all said, the best security tools is the human brain.
    This has to be the most intelligent and truthful statement I've heard all year.

Actually, the best defense is to kidnap MsMittens and make her guard your computer for you.
    Yeah, you'd think that right? Shiiit I would
    Space For Rent.. =]

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Ms. M. IS BACK......

You're absence was noticable ma'am..... where have you been.... You can plead the fifth...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Ms. M. IS BACK......

You're absence was noticable ma'am..... where have you been.... You can plead the fifth...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Orale! 111posts and you pick now to ask that kind of question? Whew!!!

P.S. And why recommend ZA? We've been over that a thousand times. sheesh!
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Orale! 111posts and you pick now to ask that kind of question? Whew!!!

P.S. And why recommend ZA? We've been over that a thousand times. sheesh!
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I didn't recommend it, I just said it's what I use. Thin line it is, but it's there nonetheless! I've had no problems with it anyway.

I didn't recommend it, I just said it's what I use. Thin line it is, but it's there nonetheless! I've had no problems with it anyway.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You're absence was noticable ma'am..... where have you been....
    I was visiting family for about a week. Unfortunately, the use of internet at a 44,000 baud is annoying so I limited my visits to check to see what disasters were ongoing and ensure that nothing was going too far out of hand. I needed the break to re-focus on my studying for my CISSP (which I will be writing -- and hopefully passing -- in a couple of weeks). Needless to say, that has my primary focus right now.

If I was to choose a free user-friendly firewall, I'd pick Sygate. I've actually found it to be far more friendlier than ZA and has better control. But that is subjective. As I said, the definition of what one requires to secure a system is a subjective view, whether it is for a company or individual. Possibly the first thing to consider is "what value does this have to me"? While many users view their home machines as having no value, their time is valuable. So when we consider what has value we don't just leave it at the data itself but all things related to it (creation, maintenance, destruction). If it takes me 2 days to rebuild my home box then I want to be sure that the likelihood of that happening -- the machine going down to the point that it requires a rebuild -- never happens. I'd look into full backups (dammit I forgot those for the list above) and/or ghost-images.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You're absence was noticable ma'am..... where have you been....
    I was visiting family for about a week. Unfortunately, the use of internet at a 44,000 baud is annoying so I limited my visits to check to see what disasters were ongoing and ensure that nothing was going too far out of hand. I needed the break to re-focus on my studying for my CISSP (which I will be writing -- and hopefully passing -- in a couple of weeks). Needless to say, that has my primary focus right now.

If I was to choose a free user-friendly firewall, I'd pick Sygate. I've actually found it to be far more friendlier than ZA and has better control. But that is subjective. As I said, the definition of what one requires to secure a system is a subjective view, whether it is for a company or individual. Possibly the first thing to consider is "what value does this have to me"? While many users view their home machines as having no value, their time is valuable. So when we consider what has value we don't just leave it at the data itself but all things related to it (creation, maintenance, destruction). If it takes me 2 days to rebuild my home box then I want to be sure that the likelihood of that happening -- the machine going down to the point that it requires a rebuild -- never happens. I'd look into full backups (dammit I forgot those for the list above) and/or ghost-images.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage