Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows vs. Linux

I think it's great for home use and gaming. But other than that... Linux r00lz
    I'm going to have to disagree with you there. For professional Graphic Arts and Video Editing Mac blows the both of them out of the water... Also, if a beginner wants to set up a server, it's a lot easier for them to set up a windows server and be told to go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com every 3 days than for them to update every service they are running anytime a new expoit comes out. For pretty much everything else however, I will have to agree with you though. Linux rules. But FreeBSD is better. heh...

I think it's great for home use and gaming. But other than that... Linux r00lz
    I'm going to have to disagree with you there. For professional Graphic Arts and Video Editing Mac blows the both of them out of the water... Also, if a beginner wants to set up a server, it's a lot easier for them to set up a windows server and be told to go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com every 3 days than for them to update every service they are running anytime a new expoit comes out. For pretty much everything else however, I will have to agree with you though. Linux rules. But FreeBSD is better. heh...

FreeBSD is god. Anyone who knows *nix knows that. hehehe

I'd have to disagree with you grunt about MACs being superior in graphics though, they had the upper hand for a while but those days are long gone. MAC is sputtering into oblivion and the IPod is the proof. Someone wants to listen to MP3s so they go out and by a MAC. I will give them the award for making a really nice digital cookbook though. Those IMacs look sharp on a kitchen counter. hehehe
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

FreeBSD is god. Anyone who knows *nix knows that. hehehe

I'd have to disagree with you grunt about MACs being superior in graphics though, they had the upper hand for a while but those days are long gone. MAC is sputtering into oblivion and the IPod is the proof. Someone wants to listen to MP3s so they go out and by a MAC. I will give them the award for making a really nice digital cookbook though. Those IMacs look sharp on a kitchen counter. hehehe
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Linux rules. But FreeBSD is better. heh...
    Actually when I say "Linux" I include flavors of UNIX as well... I guess I should be more general and say *nix

Anyways, let's see some more replies, I want to hear some more opinions.

mjk

Linux rules. But FreeBSD is better. heh...
    Actually when I say "Linux" I include flavors of UNIX as well... I guess I should be more general and say *nix

Anyways, let's see some more replies, I want to hear some more opinions.

mjk

You are seriously preaching the choir here, mjk. I can't be upset by anything M$ has to say about anything. Just look at their track record. I kind of just grunt (no pun intended) when I see M$ in the same sentence as *nix, or security, or reliability, etc. etc. etc.
    - Samuel Johnson

You are seriously preaching the choir here, mjk. I can't be upset by anything M$ has to say about anything. Just look at their track record. I kind of just grunt (no pun intended) when I see M$ in the same sentence as *nix, or security, or reliability, etc. etc. etc.
    - Samuel Johnson

Originally posted here by The Grunt
    I'm going to have to disagree with you there. For professional Graphic Arts and Video Editing Mac blows the both of them out of the water...
    For home or small time usage yes , but movie wise open source *nix is it. The matrix and lord of the rings were both done on open source (freebsd and linux IIRC) as it allows easy modification for specific uses. Why haggle with adobe when you can just do it yourself with open source.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

Originally posted here by The Grunt
    I'm going to have to disagree with you there. For professional Graphic Arts and Video Editing Mac blows the both of them out of the water...
    For home or small time usage yes , but movie wise open source *nix is it. The matrix and lord of the rings were both done on open source (freebsd and linux IIRC) as it allows easy modification for specific uses. Why haggle with adobe when you can just do it yourself with open source.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots