Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can i be hacked when not online?

can i be hacked when not online?

i have been having a problem that seems to me is a hacker. something or someone is deffinatly taking over my computer and changing things. only sometimes it happens when i am not on line. i have a roomate who has a computer. we share a dial-up line, means we have to take turns online. we have satallite tv. my computer is sharing a phone line with the satallite. i have a fairly hard (i thought until i read about it here) password on my computer. both of us have the same basic computer, except his is dell and mine is hp. i have been living here 3 months and this started in jan, so i am not sure if he is doing something or not. he slipped today and made a comment about how much stuff i have on my computer, as far as i was aware of he has never been closer than 5 feet away from my computer, so how could he know what is on my computer? can he access my computer from his? i have windows xp, 128. only windows firewall, someone stole my mcafee. i have secure ie and i use adaware among others. someone please advise.

can i be hacked when not online?

i have been having a problem that seems to me is a hacker. something or someone is deffinatly taking over my computer and changing things. only sometimes it happens when i am not on line. i have a roomate who has a computer. we share a dial-up line, means we have to take turns online. we have satallite tv. my computer is sharing a phone line with the satallite. i have a fairly hard (i thought until i read about it here) password on my computer. both of us have the same basic computer, except his is dell and mine is hp. i have been living here 3 months and this started in jan, so i am not sure if he is doing something or not. he slipped today and made a comment about how much stuff i have on my computer, as far as i was aware of he has never been closer than 5 feet away from my computer, so how could he know what is on my computer? can he access my computer from his? i have windows xp, 128. only windows firewall, someone stole my mcafee. i have secure ie and i use adaware among others. someone please advise.

Is it possible that while you were out of the house, he could of booted up your computer and put some sort of Trojan on your computer (ie:Sub7, NetBus, Back Orifice).

If he boots up your computer and presses F8 after the bios screen, and goes to the command prompt, he could of installed the Trojan this way.

And you said that you are sharing a Dial up Internet Connection, Do you have file and Print Sharing enabled?
    If yes then disable this immediatly!

And are you using Internet Connection Sharing?.
    [i]I mean how are the computer set up to reach the phone line.
    Are your computers set up so that the you have a phone cable going from 1 computer to the other, then to the phone line??
    Or do you each use a seperate phone line?

These are the questions that are running through my mind, but i'm sure that others will jump in soon with more questions.

Is it possible that while you were out of the house, he could of booted up your computer and put some sort of Trojan on your computer (ie:Sub7, NetBus, Back Orifice).

If he boots up your computer and presses F8 after the bios screen, and goes to the command prompt, he could of installed the Trojan this way.

And you said that you are sharing a Dial up Internet Connection, Do you have file and Print Sharing enabled?

And are you using Internet Connection Sharing?.
    [i]I mean how are the computer set up to reach the phone line.
    Are your computers set up so that the you have a phone cable going from 1 computer to the other, then to the phone line??
    Or do you each use a seperate phone line?

These are the questions that are running through my mind, but i'm sure that others will jump in soon with more questions.

Hey Hey,

I've got a few questions to get the ball rolling. I'm awake at 4:30am with insomnia, so I'm in no condition to be giving advice, I'll leave that for the early risers a few hours from now. In the mean time, ponder and answer these, they will help us provide you with a more formulated hypothesis (big words. heh)...

1. Changing What kind of things?
    2. Do you keep your computer completely update?
    3. Someone stole your McAfee? Please elaborate. Do you have AV or not? Is it updated? If not, next time you're online try using TrendMicro's Online Housecall AV. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    4. Are the two computers networked? i.e. Is there a crossover cable, or two straight-through cables and a hub/switch connecting your computers?
    5. Do you keep AdAware up to date? Have you tried using Spybot S&D? http://www.safer-networking.org.

That should be enough to get the ball rolling. Remeber detail is key. The more you give, the more we can provide (as far as a solution/remedy goes). Even something that seems very mundane could be useful, just don't violate you privacy and give out personal information.

Peace,
    HT

[Edit]
    Just an FYI for f2b. You said
    Do you have file and Print Sharing enabled?
    He mentioned using the Windows Firewall, it will have blocked File and Print Sharing... It's one of the quirks of that "wonderful" firewalling software.
    [/edit]

Hey Hey,

I've got a few questions to get the ball rolling. I'm awake at 4:30am with insomnia, so I'm in no condition to be giving advice, I'll leave that for the early risers a few hours from now. In the mean time, ponder and answer these, they will help us provide you with a more formulated hypothesis (big words. heh)...

1. Changing What kind of things?
    2. Do you keep your computer completely update?
    3. Someone stole your McAfee? Please elaborate. Do you have AV or not? Is it updated? If not, next time you're online try using TrendMicro's Online Housecall AV. http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    4. Are the two computers networked? i.e. Is there a crossover cable, or two straight-through cables and a hub/switch connecting your computers?
    5. Do you keep AdAware up to date? Have you tried using Spybot S&D? http://www.safer-networking.org.

That should be enough to get the ball rolling. Remeber detail is key. The more you give, the more we can provide (as far as a solution/remedy goes). Even something that seems very mundane could be useful, just don't violate you privacy and give out personal information.

Peace,
    HT

[Edit]
    Just an FYI for f2b. You said
    Do you have file and Print Sharing enabled?
    He mentioned using the Windows Firewall, it will have blocked File and Print Sharing... It's one of the quirks of that "wonderful" firewalling software.
    [/edit]

ok, here goes with more info.. yes, it is possible that he could get to my computer while i am out of the house, or asleep... i have gone to several sites and gotten free scans for viruses, i don't know if that includes trojans... no viruses, i do my best to keep up to date. i have my computer in my studio, hooked up to the phone line in there. his is in his room, hooked up to his line in there... we only have one phone line to the house. it also connects the satalite. .... last night he was online when my computer was taken over.... i had to turn it off at the power strip to stop it and this morning when i turned the computer on again, my msconfig screen was changed from normal startup to selective startup.... i peeked into his room and looked over his shoulder and did not see anything, but he could have changed screens when i came out of my studio, or when i shut my computer off.... i had mcafee until a couple of weeks ago when i was hacked and when i turned my computer on the next day, it was gone.... i still have the icon to go to the site, but not the file. it was working earlier that day... no we are not networked. yes, my adaware is uptodate, i need spybot also i know.... i have downloaded so much stuff to try to stop this, my computer is complaining of a broken back!

ok, here goes with more info.. yes, it is possible that he could get to my computer while i am out of the house, or asleep... i have gone to several sites and gotten free scans for viruses, i don't know if that includes trojans... no viruses, i do my best to keep up to date. i have my computer in my studio, hooked up to the phone line in there. his is in his room, hooked up to his line in there... we only have one phone line to the house. it also connects the satalite. .... last night he was online when my computer was taken over.... i had to turn it off at the power strip to stop it and this morning when i turned the computer on again, my msconfig screen was changed from normal startup to selective startup.... i peeked into his room and looked over his shoulder and did not see anything, but he could have changed screens when i came out of my studio, or when i shut my computer off.... i had mcafee until a couple of weeks ago when i was hacked and when i turned my computer on the next day, it was gone.... i still have the icon to go to the site, but not the file. it was working earlier that day... no we are not networked. yes, my adaware is uptodate, i need spybot also i know.... i have downloaded so much stuff to try to stop this, my computer is complaining of a broken back!

yes i think it is possible that you can be hacked coz you hav other connection and you both share in the dial up, it is just like your in a LAN,try using linux OS it has greater security than micr$oft... and download a cleaner try the demo of moo$oft ,
    scan your computer if it contains a trojan, etc..or use the task manager see if there is other program running other than the program that is suppost to be running, ...

.:front2back:. is right if your file and printer sharing is enable he can hacked you in a very simple or basic way throug the use of networking. try to perform a full system scan first on your computer then if some virus\trojan\etc came up , clean you computer by using downloadable anti virus...hope this piece of info might help you ..

yes i think it is possible that you can be hacked coz you hav other connection and you both share in the dial up, it is just like your in a LAN,try using linux OS it has greater security than micr$oft... and download a cleaner try the demo of moo$oft ,
    scan your computer if it contains a trojan, etc..or use the task manager see if there is other program running other than the program that is suppost to be running, ...

.:front2back:. is right if your file and printer sharing is enable he can hacked you in a very simple or basic way throug the use of networking. try to perform a full system scan first on your computer then if some virus\trojan\etc came up , clean you computer by using downloadable anti virus...hope this piece of info might help you ..