Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wep???

wep???

i whent to 192.168.1.1 and went to my router configeration tool and i saw something called wep

do any of you know what it is and should i turn it on

Banned
    What is WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)? Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) is the encryption algorithm built into the 802.11 (Wi-Fi) standard

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...&q=wep+spyware

i didnt find anything that you should be worried about....

On a quick google search.. u can know what WEP is ...
    http://www.google.co.in/search?hl=en...e&q=define:WEP

/Edit: I haven't posted yet as the first reply... Now I thought mine was first.. but dang.. MemmorY is 2 fast.
    XNikon
    please don\'t visit www.BusyTalk.com

Why would you need WEP running on a wired router? That is strange... I have never seen that option on a router before.

Nobody ever said it was wired, and my router offers wireless as well as wired networking.

Disturb- Using wireless would benefit from WEP, because it encrypts the traffic flying through the air. Someone like a wardriver would be able to read plaintext passwords if you don't use WEP.

Hi,

check the following link.
    http://wireless-lan.wireless-compute...ng.com/WEP.htm ( for What is WEP)

Also I am assuming that u have a Wireless router. I would say that u should turn WEP on.

MRG

For any style of router you want to change the default password, change the SSID and if it has wireless capabilities use WEP.
    Even if you are not personally using wireless at this time, you should protect your LAN. Other wise any one driving by, or in the house next door, has super easy access into your LAN....simply by plugging a wireless antenna or PCI card in. It will automatically associate with your network unless you have taken steps to prevent this. They can also steal your bandwith and if it is traced back, they will be coming after you.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Its not perfect though is it, it can be cracked with enough time, like the majority of encryption.

WarLinux comes to mind as a tool that can be used, I havent tried it really, I just went a bit crazy last year and downloaded near enough every linux ISO under the sun when I was on a silly speed connection

But WEP definatly hampers the attempts of a less serious ware driver

i2c

ooh so thats what it is THanks

if i set that on would it slow down my connection

It will slow it down slightly, but should not be noticeable. At least in my experience it has never been. And even if it does, it is worth someone having to take an hour to get into your wireless network rather than being able to hop on instantly, right?