Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nmap Sucks!!!!1

Nmap Sucks!!!!1

well, not really, i just named it that to get attention since i got almost no responses to my last thread. i've tried using the windows nt and linux versions of nmap on my comp and they both just hang right after they get to the "initiating scan, host seems to be up... thats good" phase. i've tried lots of different options and scans on different hosts, etc. and it still does the same thing... can somebody plz help me? i really wanna start using nmap since it has so much cool functionality

Well I have never been able to get Nmap to work correctly on my win system... I don't know what you are doing wrong on the linux system... Is everything configured correctly?

yes, i have internet access and everything configured good on the linux system. i have internet access and i can ping/telnet to a host, but nmap messes up for some reason

Well... It's beyond me then... Did you try taking it off and putting it back on? Are you certain you have the newest version? Maybe your ISP blocks portscans... Check with them too...

Since negative went through so much trouble to create a (fantastic) search engine for the tutorials, you might want to give that a try:

http://www.neg.be/index/search.php?q=nmap

thehorse13 did a nice series of tuts....

i dont need a tutorial on how to use nmap, i need to figure out why it wont work. no matter what i do, it hangs after it sees that the host is up. other port scanners work fine, but this one has a problem.

I've never had any trouble getting it to work on Win, however it's much better on *nix. What version of winpcap are you running? Which release of NMAP? In which order did you install it, etc. etc. a little detail would help....
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

i got nmap(v3.5) first, it wouldnt work. then i got winpcap(dunno what version). nmap worked(slowly) until i restarted my comp, then it wouldnt work anymore. i have a linux boot cd(PHLAK) that has nmap on it so i booted up with it and tried some scans and it did the same thing(hung).

then i got winpcap(dunno what version)
    this raises a red flag for me, because many network tools rely on a very specific version of winpcap. I had terrible problems, for example, when I tried to run Ethereal using anything later than winpcap 2.5, and Cain and Abel won't tolerate any version earlier than 3.1b.

I just checked the changelog at insecure.org, and the latest version of NMap apparently included support for WinPCap 3.1b - if you haven't already, try uninstalling NMap AND WinPCap, and starting over with those versions.

Just a lesson from my experience, hope it's helpful.

but why did it have the same problem on phlak then? ill see what version i have tho

--its wincap 3.1 beta