Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hubs, Router Networking

Hubs, Router Networking

I was just looking at bestbuy for what i am going to buy today, i was going to buy a linksys router but then i saw hubs...like this one and it sais connects up to four computers to share printers, internet and more...so whats the difference and which one is better? ...I think Linksys but i wanna see what you guys think about it

As a former employee of Best Buy, I can tell you that the Linksys routers are probably the best option at that store, in terms of both security and reliability.

If you want to have your machines on a broadband connection, you will have to get a router, that hub won't do it.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

It depends on what you want to do with it. If you have a broadband connection then you would want a router because it will allow multiple computers on the internet at the same time and will give you a kind of hardware firewall. A router also has a built in switch. A switch runs at 100 mbs per port where a hub splits the 100mbs in between all the ports.

Also if you just get a hub you will have to pay for each additional IP (or computer) that you get on the internet. I know that the current price of a wireless router at best buy right now is $49.99 USD after a 10 dollar mail in rebate. Which is just slighty more expensive than your hub and by far a better device in every facet. If you dont want the additional features of a router I would get a switch and not a hub.

Edit: Btw out of what BBY carries you want to go with the Linksys, they are a subsidiary of Cisco and will get the most updates and the best they carry IMO
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Hi,

The hub is nothing but a device that will send the packet to all the computers that are connected to that hub, e.g'

say for e.g that u have four computers that are connected to the Hub then if you send a pcket from one of of the machines(A) that is destined for machine (B) then the hub will send the data to all the machines and not just B.

So all the machines that are connected to HUB are in a single collision Domain and single broad cast domain.

( For Collisons refer this link:http://duxcw.com/faq/network/hubsw.htm)

Router: A device that forwards the packets to different networks. You need a router to break the network in to parts or the router breaks a broadcast domains. Now these networks may be called as LAN'S Wan's etc...

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/router.html

(For Information on Switch & Hub replace the word router by switch or hub.)

Also if you have some more time:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/router1.htm

MRG.

Actually spyrus you can hav multiple computers on a hub using one connection. Just set up a proxy or use ICS on windows and make one computer a gateway. If your planning on building a firewall box to use as a gateway then you would be ok with a hub or switch, but if your not, then you have any real hardware security other than your firewall.

I would suggest you go with the linksys router. I like the BEFSX 41
    =

Hey Hey,

You can actually use a hub/switch with a broadband connection without ICS or a proxy/gateway. It all depends on what you are running for your connection. I can connect up to 8 computers through a hub/switch to my DSL connection, because I'm allowed 8 IPs. It all depends on how many IP addresses your ISP gives you. If you only have 1 IP then you will need a NAT device of some sort (I really dislike the use of the word router in cases like these). Sometimes it's good to have both. I have my DSL modem into a 100mbps switch, then the switch runs to a linksys "router", and a 16 port d-link hub. Actually I think I may do up a network diagram tonight because everyone will find humour in it. The "router" is definately the way to go if you need to share a single IP, however if you have more than one IP sometimes it's nice to not be stuck behidn the "router". The nice thing about going with linksys is that usually for a few dollars more you can get a NAT device with a builting WAP which is always an added bonus, that's why I have mine.....

Peace,
    HT

Originally posted here by cheyenne1212
    Actually spyrus you can hav multiple computers on a hub using one connection. Just set up a proxy or use ICS on windows and make one computer a gateway. If your planning on building a firewall box to use as a gateway then you would be ok with a hub or switch, but if your not, then you have any real hardware security other than your firewall.

I would suggest you go with the linksys router. I like the BEFSX 41

You are correct, I was just going with ease of use and explanation, in general its a lot easier to do all this with a router as opposed to a setting up a bunch of stuff. Guess I should take a bit more time and explain next time . but at least we are all agreeing on a linksys router
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Yeah get yourself a linksys. If you got to ebay you can also get them cheaper! Try and get one of the BEFSR41 or BEFSX41
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Its only 10mbs, but if your just surfing on it then its fine, I dont like the idea with hubs that traffic is sent to all ports it seems ineffiecent to me, I suppose a hub would be quite good if you want to sniff all traffic, instead of having the hassle of sniffing a switched network.

You probably already no the difference between hubs, switches and routers. One thing that you might find limiting is that on some of the lower enter routers you cant see the other computers, but a hub you can. Theres other differences to....

i2c

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    One thing that you might find limiting is that on some of the lower enter routers you cant see the other computers, but a hub you can
    I dunno..... How not? What are they 'cos they would be utter rubbish really wouldn't they? Or is this a communication isssue?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides