Thread: Breaking in to my server

Breacking in to my server

I'm a LAN administrator, please can anyone tell me how one can possibly break into my server and how to prevent. it I have closed the some ports that are think are dangerous, possible used ny hackers and crackers including port 23. but it seems they continue breacking in, how is this done and how can I prevent it.

Closing all ports that are not needed and applying all the patches would be a good start

Just Another Geek
    If "they" continue breaking in you're in serious trouble. I'll bet the culprits broke in once and installed a couple of backdoors. I do hope you have backups of your data!

What to do after a break in:

1) Forget about patching/cleaning it. There's no way to tell what they "touched" and/or modified.
    2) Format *all* the drives. Better yet, replace them if possible and keep the old ones for research by forensic experts.
    3) reinstall from original media.
    4) apply *all* patches.
    5) properly secure the machine.
    5) restore your data (not the programs! Use 3 for that).
    6) connect it back on the network.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

you even closed port 23 im so impressed.

let me see two requests for viruses i request for breaking lm hashes and a couple 'how can i break into my server'. you nothing but a dam lammer go away
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

AO French Antique News Whore
    Check the tutorial section to SECURE an OS. (Not Hack it)
    -Simon \"SDK\"

original content removed due to MsMittens' merging of the threads..

and uh.. thanks for closing this other thread,MsM.. it made it look as though I did hack a moderator role..

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Merged threads (thus removing dups), removed excess posts and renamed thread so it made sense.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I'm a LAN administrator, please can anyone tell me how one can possibly break into my server and how to prevent. it I have closed the some ports that are think are dangerous, possible used ny hackers and crackers including port 23. but it seems they continue breacking in, how is this done and how can I prevent it.

How do you know they're continuously breaking in?

Have you reviewed your firewall logs? That could give you an indication on how this happened. Also, if this is your system and people are hacking it. Would this be because you hang out in questionable forums and on IRC trying to find skript kiddie tools and others are trying to teach you a lesson. One last thing is, who in their right mind would hire you as a LAN Admin?