Thread: Carnivore at work?

Carnivore at work?

Hi all,

Several months ago a chat board I frequent was shutdown by the FBI due to possible threats made to the president. The forum is a 'punk rock' general discussion board for the area I live in, and is usually filled with asinine comments, rediculous humor, comments made in poor taste, etc (what would one expect from a punk board?).

Anyways, one day a few users started bashing the Bush administration over something and the board was shut down by the FBI.

My question is how does something like this happen? The first thing that comes to mind is that someone found the bashing as a threat and reported the site. But, is this an example of the FBI combing through sites/net looking for key words that might be linked to terrorism or what not?

I suppose I could just be bored at work daydreaming about conspiracy theories, but it kinda seems carnivore is well at work here.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    It could be Carnivore and it could be someone filing a complaint somewhere. Is it the ISP claiming the FBI is shutting it down or is there an official letter to the admin stating that the board was shut down by the FBI?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

It was definitely shot down by the FBI. I know the guy that ran the board and apparently he was contacted by the FBI and they told him to freeze the board while they looked at the posts and ip addresses.

I was just curious as the comments were obviously rediculous drivel made by some young kids, but yet deemed such a big threat the FBI got involved. It raises other questions as to how much the FBI has access to. I assume everything thanks to the Patriot Act?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I assume everything thanks to the Patriot Act?
    Basically. It gave more powers to those that want to "protect" the US. While it may be just kids, they can't take a chance. It's similar to when you go to the airport and joke about blowing it up. It's a felony in Canada to do something like that. They have to take it seriously because if they don't and that one time it's not a joke, it could be serious.

So the reality is if it contains stuff like that don't be surprised if there is a form of censorship coming down from the FBI or others. Although I do wonder if it was Carnivore or was there another sniffer that the FBI/NSA had after Carnivore??
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Exactly. This is why I'm asking. I realize the FBI did have reason to do it, but for such a small board and such, it was surprising as to how fast they found the information. We're talking in a matter of one to two days after the posts were made. I find it hard to believe someone reported the kids as most of the users on the board are pretty much friends (although a random could've easily stumbled across the site and said something).

All I've heard about is carnivore, which makes me wonder what other techniques they may have.

if you dont think there are fbi agents signed up even here you better do a reality check. but i kinda go with MsM... someone found a way to legally DoS the board.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Dietzol, how do you know the FBI shut it down, do to threats to the president? Wouldn't the Secret Service be involved in this, or do they use the FBI in cases like this?