Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Al Qaida's Reaction To Iraqi Prisoner's

Al Qaida's Reaction To Iraqi Prisoner's

From yahoo.com:

BAGHDAD, Iraq - A video posted Tuesday on an al-Qaida-linked Web site showed the beheading an American civilian in Iraq in what was said to be revenge for abuse of Iraqi prisoners.

The video showed five men wearing headscarves and black ski masks, standing over a bound man in an orange jumpsuit — similar to a prisoner's uniform. The man identified himself as Nick Berg, a U.S. civilian whose body was found Saturday near a highway overpass in Baghdad.

"My name is Nick Berg, my father's name is Michael, my mother's name is Suzanne," the man said on the video. "I have a brother and sister, David and Sarah. I live in ... Philadelphia."

After reading a statement, the men were seen pulling the man to his side and putting a large knife to his neck. A scream sounded as the men cut his head off, shouting "Allahu akbar!" — "God is great!" They then held the head up to the camera.

The slaying recalled the kidnapping and videotaped beheading of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl in 2002 in Pakistan. Four Islamic militants have been convicted of kidnapping Pearl, but seven other suspects — including those who allegedly slit his throat — remain at large.

The chief of Iraq's war crimes tribunal, meanwhile, said trials of Saddam Hussein and others will begin next year, although U.S. officials disputed the statement.

Berg was a small-business owner from West Chester, Pa., a Philadelphia suburb, his family said Tuesday.

"For the mothers and wives of American soldiers, we tell you that we offered the U.S. administration to exchange this hostage with some of the detainees in Abu Ghraib and they refused," one of the men read from a statement.

"So we tell you that the dignity of the Muslim men and women in Abu Ghraib and others is not redeemed except by blood and souls. You will not receive anything from us but coffins after coffins ... slaughtered in this way."

The video bore the title "Abu Musab al-Zarqawi shown slaughtering an American." It was unclear whether al-Zarqawi — a lieutenant of Osama bin Laden — was shown in the video, or was claiming responsibility for ordering the execution.

The Web site on which the video was posted is known as a ************* for al-Qaida and Islamic extremist groups' statements and tapes.

Photographs of Iraqi prisoners being humiliated have reverberated throughout the Arab world and have intensified anti-Western sentiment.

The head of the U.S.-led occupation of Iraq, L. Paul Bremer, said the soldiers accused of abuses would be brought to justice.

"I find the behavior of these American soldiers completely unacceptable and outrageous," Bremer said in an interview with Associated Press Television News. "I share the outrage of the Iraqi people and the people of the world as to what these guys did. They don't represent America, and they don't represent the face of the American military."

Seven soldiers from the 372nd Military Police Company face charges in the mistreatment of prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison. The first one to go to trial, Spc. Jeremy C. Sivits of Hyndman, Pa., faces a court-martial in Baghdad next week.

The head of Iraq's war crimes tribunal said Tuesday the United States has pledged to hand over Saddam and dozens of other suspects from the ousted regime to Iraqi authorities by the time some sovereignty is restored June 30. U.S. officials disputed that any decisions on timing had been made.

Salem Chalabi said in Kuwait that trials would begin next year and that judges would receive "files" on the suspects at the end of this year.

"We will put 100 people ... including Saddam Hussein, on trial," he said. The suspects, he added, "will be delivered to us by the coalition before the transfer of power."

Secretary of State Colin Powell said he did not know anything about handing over Saddam. State Department spokesman Richard Boucher also said that as far as he knew there was no decision on when or in what time frame to hand over the ousted Iraqi leader, who has been in U.S. custody since he was captured Dec. 13.

Ali Hassan al-Majid, known as "Chemical Ali" for his use of chemical weapons against the Kurds in the 1980s, could be one of the first to stand trial, Chalabi said.

The United States estimates that Saddam's government killed at least 300,000 Iraqis. Some human rights groups say the number is closer to 1 million.

No charges have yet been filed against Saddam or other suspects from his regime, but human rights groups have said the tribunal expects to try leaders for genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity.

Berg, 26, had been missing since April 9 — the same day insurgents attacked a U.S. convoy west of the capital.
    I think this is just f**kin' sick. They respond (not the Iraqi's oddly enough, but Al-Qaida) by taping a LETHAL torture of cutting off their head's?? Making them state where their families live? This whole article (when I first read it) made me sick. I guess this is their "reaction" to the Iraqi prisoner situation. On a personal note (if this hasn't been personal enough ) I really hope that this end's soon and that we hurry up and finish our job's there. Finish off Iraq, destroy what you can of the terrorist organization's, and get out of there. What are your comment's on this?..
    Space For Rent.. =]

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Seems to be a start of a cycle. One report I read (off of Canoe.com) claimed that the Iraqi "torture" was done as a retaliation to Pvt. Jessica Lynch. And now with this, does it mean that there will be further torture as a retaliation to what happened? What's even more disturbing about this is that the Americans had held this civilian under suspicion of helping the enemy, let him go and then he got captured by al-Qaida.

*sigh* This will only fuel the reason to stay I fear.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Yeah, gotta agree with you on that. I wouldn't be surprised if that Jessica Lynch thing was true because that was a pretty big issue over here and it coulda sparked even more anomosity between the captured Iraqi's and the guard's. Hopefully it'll end soon.. doubtful though .
    Space For Rent.. =]

Life for a life spyder, we beat some of them to death so they cut off the head of our guy...seems more then fair to me...if we wanted this guy to live we should have exchanged prisioners....they tell us "exchange or we kill this guy" we call them on it what choice did they have? When the rape videos hit the main press (our guys rapeing iraqy women and chidren) the **** is going t orealy hit the fan
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Ah but we should be nice to people who use our compassion as a weapon against us and hold the villages they operate within in constant fear of similar action demonstrated via a live audience. Rough up a few prisoners and the news is swarming with story among story. Behead a citizen contractor while taunting and torturing his family and shhhh. Don't let that get out. Even in this article the wording demonstrates propoganda, such as "U.S. lead OCCUPATION"

"Photographs of Iraqi prisoners being humiliated have reverberated throughout the Arab world and have intensified anti-Western sentiment."

Tame compared to prisons of their own society.

"So we tell you that the dignity of the Muslim men and women in Abu Ghraib and others is not redeemed except by blood and souls. You will not receive anything from us but coffins after coffins ... slaughtered in this way."

They don't fight like we do. Perhaps restrained in a new century is weak.

"For the mothers and wives of American soldiers, we tell you that we offered the U.S. administration to exchange this hostage with some of the detainees in Abu Ghraib and they refused," one of the men read from a statement.
    Hang all the prisoners wanted in exchange. No public display, just execution for war crimes. Untether the politicians and media and LET the militery do their job.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hang all the prisoners wanted in exchange. No public display, just execution for war crimes.
    How do we know they are guilty of war crimes?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Why does al quida need them, and who cares. They taunt the media, and the coalition, their families and me, with civilian public executions. They want them so bad, do as they do return them in coffins like they state our own will be returned.

You will not receive anything from us but coffins after coffins ... slaughtered in this way
    I am a peaceful man, but one who understands there are times when only a fire will defeat one that already bruning.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I think that the execution was a convienent excuse to execute the prisoner and try to rally support for their cause. If they would have killed him outright they would be the bad guys. Instead they are trying to make their cause seem "just" because they offered a trade.
    Like it or not they are smart because they knew this wouldn't happen, so they killed him anyway. I think the Iraqi people are intellegent enough to where they will realize in time that our mistreatment of prisoners will be dealt with, and also at the same time realize that the actions of these terrorists are wrong in any sense.

your absolutly right thadbme. they had this guy since about april 4th just looking to see how to make the most out of something they really were going to do anyway. they're freggen animals that view compasion as a weakness tp be exploited

i mean how dare we embarass someone whose only crime was putting an rpg into a police station or tossed a grenade into a crowd. after all its probably his first offense. we should have brought him coffee and donuts and asked nicely where his friends were going to go next and if he would be so kind as to tell us where they kept the rest of the bombs before someone else gets hurt.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    I just have to say this, and it could be entirely uncalled for, but its been beaming in my head for a few hours now. CBS News has to feel a little bit responsible for the death of Nick Berg. These murderers killed Nick Berg because of the wretched abuse of the iraqi detainees. However, if CBSNEWS didnt run this story, these murderers would NOT have been aware of the abuse. At least not yet, and Nick Berg could have made it home. Could have been someone else, sure.. but not him. I guess the question I am trying to raise is this.

Was CBS News so blindly seeking this Exclusive Story Bombshell, that it did not think that the rammifications could be disasterous to the Amercian Troops/Civillians in the middle east?

Dont get me wrong, Im all for free press, and non-censorship, but sometimes, you gotta think about the big picture.

Edit: I lost my thougt for a second, i suppose....this kid was jewish....if they knew that..they would have killed him anyways.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in541815.shtml

Berg's father said his son was Jewish and had a fringed religious cloth with him, but he did not think Berg wore the clothing in public. Still, "there's a better chance than not that they knew he was Jewish," Michael Berg said. "If there was any doubt that they were going to kill him that probably clinched it, I'm guessing."
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2