Thread: Undeleting files

Undeleting files

How do you undelete a file on your system?I'm on Windows btw..and I know it involves playing with your FAT32 tables hex editors blah blah blah...I'd like to know the grisly details tho...could I get a bit of info on NTFS n FAT32 too?

Why on earth would you try to do it through the FAT? There are numerous utilities available for this. (At least for FAT16/32). I don't know what's out there for NTFS, I personally don't like it.

I'm just going to explain for the newbie's out there why NTFS is so screwy. Back in the day, we had a nice, easy to use and understand file system. It was FAT16. 16 bit allocation units, it was simple. FAT16 couldn't handle the larger HD partitions that became standard later, so FAT32 was invented. It was basically an upgraded version of FAT16, except it had 32 bit allocation units. It could handle partitions of up to 32gigs IIRC. Of course, neither of the FAT systems could handle encryption or any of that fancy crap they have today... So out of the Windows NT line, we get NTFS. Variable sized allocation units, encryption support, and it may be a journaling FS, I'm not really sure. Voila, no longer can our beautiful DOS utilities fix anything.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Hi,

Your question would depend on how the file was deleted.

WinHex is a good tool, but it isn't free AFAIK, you can get a demo of it though. There are other "recovery tools" just do a google for "security freeware" or "data recovery tools".

For example the easiest way is to recover from the waste bin, then perhaps go back to a restore point.

It depends on what was deleted and how. The file system shouldn't matter but the OS might.

Cheers

here are two threads..
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=256267
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=249942

in each I posted about a recovery tool.. one is free the other is shareware but it will allow you to recover a directory at a time.. unlimited times.. (irecover)

Boot knoppix or DOS and then delete the file. You usually can't delete a system file because Windows is using it. Althought any floppy distro of Linux would work for deleting a file I think

Boot knoppix or DOS and then delete the file. You usually can't delete a system file because Windows is using it. Althought any floppy distro of Linux would work for deleting a file I think
    Ummm..hello?

Originally posted here by mygbcpage
    ???Did you read the question or any of the replies, mygbpage??v
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown