Thread: Microsoft Playing Fair?

Microsoft Playing Fair?

"We understand that the lure of a cash anti-virus reward program can prompt those with information to come forward and assist law enforcement,” Smith said. “For this reason, Microsoft decided to reward the informants who provided information vital to this Sasser worm arrest with a reward of $250,000, pending the successful conviction of this case."
    Those informants had better pray that those prosecuters do a fine job so they can get their money and get the hell out of dogde. Otherwise, they are going to have some pissed off people on their tails.

::source::
    http://www.securitynewsportal.com/cg...one&id=14&op=t
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Hi Lansing~

Those informants had better pray that those prosecuters do a fine job so they can get their money and get the hell out of dogde. Otherwise, they are going to have some pissed off people on their tails.
    I doubt it................quite different personality profile between people who hide in the dark writing viruses, and those who hide in the dark with a Starlite scope?

AO French Antique News Whore
    Ouch.

I would be really piss off to lost 250,000$ US for nothing because of bad prosecuters.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Originally posted here by SDK
    Ouch.

I would be really piss off to lost 250,000$ US for nothing because of bad prosecuters.
    I seriously doubt that they will not get a sucessful conviction... they have the original source code, source for several varients, proof that its an offspurt of netsky and a confession.

They have to be REALLY SHITTY prosecuters to loose this case. (my cousin vinnie?)

There might be some problem with the suspects's age though. Apparently when some of the viruses were written, he was only 17. But, he was 18 when he wrote sassar. *I believe.*

This is all just bits and pieces I've read over the past couple of days.

Besides... its the suspects fault. The first rule of virus club is that you don't talk about virus club!

I believe that m$ is playing fair. (Isn't that an oxymoron?)

You see it all the time. Cash for info on criminals. I see it on TV, in the newspapers, etc.
    We're not talking about some whitehat who wrote a POC to put pressure on a vendor.
    You're talking about a "criminal".

Criminals are the ones who make bad names for everyone. If I knew who wrote it... I'd be willing to cash in too. I get some $$ and I save a lot of people headaches later down the road when they've created a virus that is 5x worse than their previous.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.