Thread: 2 nic cards...

2 nic cards...

This is going to sound like a silly question, but is there a way to bridge two nic cards so that they essentially "double" your speed. I notice when another PC is on and connected to the net, it doesnt really drop my DL speed much.
    So if I am downloading at 500KB/Sec on one machine and 400KB on another, could I essentially download at 900KB or does this not even pertain to anything possible, since my ISP restricts my speeds?
    Sex is like \"Social Security\". You get a little each month, but it\'s not enough to live on.

AO French Antique News Whore
    NIC card can download over 10Mg to 100Mg a second. Doing a bridge won't help.

The fact that you get 500KB/Sec from a machine and 400KB/Sec on the other side is probably due to the fact you're download from 2 differents source of the Internet.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Exactly what SDK said.

Clarification:
    Commonly, a TCP/IP stream's speed will top out near 300 - 600KB/s, depending on where you download from. That means that each download will top out between 300 - 600KB/s. When you have two downloads, they both top out near those speeds, but since there are two downloads, your total speed might be 600 - 1200KB/s. Of course the total speed is limited by your Internet Connection, or the server's connection speed settings. If your Internet connection tops out at 1000KB/s (nice), then if you have 4 downloads at the same time, they will go about 250KB/s each.

Thanks tim for that explanation. The thing that was confusing me, I am able to download at such a high speed with TWO computers attached....and running.
    I wonder what sort of speed I can get with only one machine connected...hmmm
    seems to me that my ISP may have tweaked my settings some how and that I am able to get such a clean speed, OR, theres hardly anyone online at 4am
    Sex is like \"Social Security\". You get a little each month, but it\'s not enough to live on.