Thread: win 98 cab files

win 98 cab files

I'm trying to install my webcam driver and it won't complete the installation not unless if i load up the win 98 disc. Problem is my cd rom drive ain't working. I tried searching for *.cab files and the folder is empty. Is there any downloadble cab file driver for me to comple the installation for my webcam? pls help

Have you tried to get the drivers from the vendors (webcam) site?

Cheers:
    DjM

yeah...from intel.com

I have had this problem before, what I ended up having to do was manually give the location of each file.

The driver package managed to come with everything, but Windows still tried to get stuff off the CD (stuff that was in the drivers).
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

i tried to manually search for that cab file under system32>driver folders..but it won't take it

IIRC Win98 doesn't keep the cab's after installation.

Most times in 98 when the window asks you to browse for the files it also has the details button. Clicking details will show the destination folder path. A lot of times a file it wants from 98 is already in the windows or windows\system folder but the install program doesn't know it. Try browsing to the folder shown in the destination path and see if it is found. Sometimes you have to go back and forth a few times to get all the files as they are in other forlders.

Good luck
    \"You got a mouth like an outboard motor..all the time putt putt putt\" - Foghorn Leghorn

Yeah, it's a little weird at times. Windows, that is...

I really mean it, Bill Gates can kiss my penguin!

can i just download a backup file for usb webcam?

Hello my dear,

You have a serious probem, in that your CD drive is not working..............you need to fix that first?

Then, you need to UNINSTALL any software related to your webcam..............there actually should not be any?

Then, with nothing attached, run the installation of the webcam (probably on a CD.........hence the comments above)

When IT PROMPTS YOU, you may connect the webcam. The two most common errors with USB devices is that people do not realise that you have to install the software first, and they don't go into "set-up" and enable USB support.

Win98 will not support your webcam without those steps...........anyone want to bet?