Thread: moving firewall logs

moving firewall logs

ok i got problem every night some firewall log files get dumpt on a windows 2000 server but in the wrong directory. I just want to move the ones that are 2 days old to the right directory. If this was *nix then now problems scripts are my life but i don't know how to create scripts in dinky toy windows.

I want to learn so don't give me any complete code but can anybody just point me in the direction of easy way of writing scripts in windows, using what is usually DEFAULT on the machine!!
    ( so if somebody says write it in pearl i wont have to kill them. If had pearl i i would not have this problem!!)

Just Another Geek
    How does the firewall send it's logs to the win2k machine? Does it use syslog?

How's your perl scripting on *nix? If it's up2par check out ActivePerl (for windows).
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

ok
    This stupid machine is not mine i just have to admin crap on it and i cant install anything new on it. Is active perl somthing that comes default with a widows machine then yippiea now problems me and perl are good friends, but as i understand from active perl is that one has to install some crap to get it going and i cant do that in this case
    but thanks for the input

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I think that your biggest hurdle in overcoming this issue will be this:-

i don't know how to create scripts in dinky toy windows
    Specifically the "dinky toy" bit...... It really doesn't say much for your level of skill if a 'dinky toy' has you baffled really does it.

A quick search on Microsoft's web site for "Windows Scripting examples" gets you this. Study the syntax, drag the crayons out of the toybox and scribble away.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Tiger Shark
    thanks for the crayon smeard slapp and the link . I think i might of found what i was loking for.
    And yes i confess that my elitness is below par, but i get very frustrated when i have to use windows probably becuse of my lack of experience in windows , but i am trying

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    di0strb:

but i am trying
    See..... I knew it was just a minor attitude adjustment that was required......

It'll come..... I bet you sucked with *nix when you first turned it on too.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides