Thread: trouble with bluetooth

trouble with bluetooth

this is kind of a hardware/software problem... a little bit of both I guess. i recently had to reinstall my o/s due to my installation of linux, now I'm running WinXP, and mandrake 9.1, so, my trouble is... I reinstalled my drivers for bluetooth, but get an error, I don't know if i'm missing something, or if it happens to be corrupted, so after installing it the second time, I uninstalled it and reinstalled it. needless to say, it still didn't work and i still get the same error.. "bttray error: cannot start bluetooth stack service" then btsendto_explorer.exe decides to take up around 50% of my processor. I don't know how to resolve this problem so if anyone can help... I need it bad. thank you so very, very much.
    ~Kyle (Phaktor5)
    p.s: running a dell inspiron 9100 notebook (if that helps)

ok - just clarify some things for me
    - what are you using the bluetooth on at the moment? XP or mandrake 9.1?
    - are both OS's giving the same error?
    - what are you trying to connect - a phone?
    - is the bluetooth device built in to your notebook or is it one of those bluetooth/USB adapters (if so which one, maker etc)?
    - do you have the bluetooth device offering a network service?
    - got a firewall blocking the bluetooth port?
    - have you paired the device your trying to communicate with to the notebook?
    - if you have paired the other device e.g. phone, are the services offered by the other device available?

answer that and I might be able to help a little - not sure

oh yeah one other things - COM ports - is the mobile device and the computer operating on the same COM port (mine uses COM5 for example) and in the bluetooth software on the PC are all other COM ports disabled and left unreserved?
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

ok, I'm running the bluetooth on my XP, i dont really care about running it with linux as i only use it for programming and web design. But, along the line of the com ports... I have no clue, tell me how to check it out and I'll get back to you on that. the device is built in, ill check on the maker etc. I use Mcafee firewall, but it didn't do the error thing until i reinstalled the drivers after installing xp again. as for the communication thing... I'd have to go to downtown dayton~ 45mins away to get any type of signal. Well, thanks for your help
    if you can help me even more I may have to owe you my first born. j/k
    thanks Zonewalker

~Kyle (Phaktor5)

ahh - phaktor - must have missed this being updated.....

ok - XP - if you didn't know M$ don't actually officially support bluetooth because they feel the tech is 'untested' as a result getting bluetooth to work properly is partially a matter of luck (sucky I know). I think this is probably the major problem here - for example it took me about 4 reinstalls of the drivers for my bluetooth device before it 'took' (once taken though it usually 'sticks') - a similar situation existed with USB and win95/98 when USB was still new. So first thing I would try is to fully uninstall the drivers and then reinstall them (if you don't have recent drivers it may be worth checking the manufacturers site for updates) - once reinstalled try and get the bluetooth device to pair with the laptop (see later).

- Firewalls - I asked if you were offering network support to the bluetooth device if you are make sure the firewall isn't blocking this - be aware that if you are transferring files between your device and laptop the firewall may also be trying to block this. I'm not familiar with Mcafee firewall but obviously the bluetooth device should be in your local or trusted zone. Incidentally the firewall blocking the bluetooth device could give rise to the "bttray error: cannot start bluetooth stack service" that you're noting - if it's not a driver issue I'd be willing to lay (small ) bets on this being the root of your problem. I'm not sure if McAfee has individual component or process control (I should hope it does) so you may need to find out if the firewall is blocking any processes (hint: bluetooth stack service!)

- communication ports - ok go to the device manager (control panel > system> hardware> device manager) the bluetooth device should be listed there using a particular COM port - your bluetooth driver software should also have something in it to set the COM port that the device is to use. The bluetooth driver software should also be able to enable and reserve this COM port. Without knowing what your device is (as you still haven't said if its a phone, PDA or what?!) I can't really give any further specifics.

I'm not sure what you mean by
    I'd have to go to downtown dayton~ 45mins away to get any type of signal
    for your phone???

You haven't indicated if
    - have you paired the device your trying to communicate with to the notebook?
    bluetooth only works if you have paired the PC and the device (e.g. phone) - there should be instructions in your devices manual specifying how you do this - basically this sets up a trusted link between the two devices - you'll probably be asked to supply some sort of security key i.e. a password during the pairing process - this key must be the same on both PC and the bluetooth device.

Ok see how that goes and let me know

Z

as of now, i have no devices that contain bluetooth. the only reason I had it installed when I ordered my comp, was that in when I went to college, somone would have it there. Thus, I cannot determine wether or not it works with any other devices, as there are no devices within the my part of the miami valley area that contain bluetooth. I'll check with the com ports and the firewall thing. Thanks.
    ~Kyle (phaktor5)

as of now, i have no devices that contain bluetooth
    sigh - you could have said that a little earlier instead of wasting time . Don't bother looking at COM ports or firewalls in this case. The fact that there are no bluetooth devices anywhere near you is the entire reason you're getting the stack error. You do know bluetooth only works to a range of 10 metres don't you? If you're wanting to be 1337 hacker and get someones info from their phone/PDA/whatever you are going to have to be within range of them - and even then unless you know what you're doing they can still block any attempt you make to pair with their device - and no I'm not going to tell you how to do that. Do you think you can be a little more upfront next time?

'Tis a good job there is a ocean seperating us.

Z (being slightly miffed)

well, if you want to blunt about it... I did tell you and you even quoted it in your post

"I'd have to go to downtown dayton~ 45mins away to get any type of signal"

Sound familiar.....
    I did know that microsoft does not sanction the use of Bluetooth, hence my coming here and looking for help, since I did not know the cause of my problems, was I supposed to know the answer....? Riddle me that! I'm sorry I only wasted an hour or so of your "precious time" but if I'm not mistaken you were once at the same level I was... so excuse me for showing a little intrigue in the computer/technology field. there's no need to be posh about it, and I still greatly thank you for your time/effort, but damn, you don't have to be all "in yo face" about it. Also for your "filing cabinet of knowledge," at this moment I have no intentions of becoming "1337" or if you wish to speak plain english elite, I simply want enough knowledge that will allow me to advance my skills to the next level... in other words... I'll worry about being elite when I get there.
    thank you for your time, you've been a GREAT HELP!!!!!!!!!
    ~Kyle (phaktor5)

well, if you want to blunt about it... I did tell you and you even quoted it in your post
    true you did but the statement you're referring to is ambiguous at best and you'll note that I did question that statement (whilst at the same time answering your other queries!). At the time you still hadn't said that you didn't have a bluetooth enabled device anywhere near you - for all I know reception of a mobile phone in your area may be particularly crappy or maybe bluetooth reception is crappy and you have to travel for 45mins before you get a decent signal. If you had indicated that you didn't have a suitable device a little more clearly earlier on then this confusion wouldn't have happened.

I appreciate that you're looking for help - I don't have a problem with that but it does help if you mention certain facts from the start.

I'm sorry I only wasted an hour or so of your "precious time"
    uh huh- do you work at all by any chance or are you a student? I'm not saying theres anything wrong with being a student but when you get up at 6:30am to go to work and don't normally get home til 7pm then yes time is precious (and yes I am here at work replying to you when I should be working on something else but thats my problem not yours) - it might only be an hour to you but it's an hour I can't really afford to waste. I have my own personal projects to get on with too you know. I don't mind helping you out but its better if we can spend time efficiently... being efficient is all I'm asking.

there's no need to be posh about it
    I'm English - what do you expect? - I don't know if you'll appreciate that bit of humor but lets try and keep it real here

Also for your "filing cabinet of knowledge," at this moment I have no intentions of becoming "1337" or if you wish to speak plain english elite
    LOL - well at least you know when I'm being slightly sarcastic - yes ok - there was little call for that comment of mine - I was tired and had a shitty day at work, for that I apologise. However stick around a bit longer and you too can become a cynical senior member of AO (not that this means much anymore) and have to sort out the wheat from the chaff - I'm hoping you'll be some wheat? The reference to being 1337 was said fully tongue in cheek.

advance my skills to the next level
    sorry buddy - there is no next level - you're either competent at what you do or your not. It's not a game of D&D you know - however much I might wish it were.

thank you for your time, you've been a GREAT HELP!!!!!!!!!
    mmmm.... I'll take that comment at face value - since you're current problem has been solved - anything else?

I was always told to "fight fire with fire" so i did, the replies to your sarcastic humor were sarcastic humor... No insult! The whole 1337 thing was unorthodox, as I am currently following Eric Raymond as my unofficial "mentor." i have always been told to use english, people respond to it better, however math is the universal language <-- as for that, it is simply a mental retardation (sarcasm). My british remark, the posh thing was simply out of humor and also in good taste. I happen to be friends with a british kid who was over here for a couple of months, whom I used to joke about "going to a pub, getting pissed and smoking a fag." all are definatly not american slang, and are funny to hear, whatever your nationality (especially all in the same sentance). The "GREAT HELP" thing was intended to be a hint that my soul purpose of posting was to seek help, and not obtain a flame or anything of that nature. I happen to be quite proficient and I know what it's like working long days. i get up @ 6:45 and school until 3:00 but then i work from 5:00-10:00 so if you think your day is long... try mine (after 10:00 i do homework). well for what it's worth I thank you deeply..... Until we meet again!
    ~Kyle (Phaktor5)

ROFL - sometimes the problem with fighting fire with fire is that you end up with a whole load of fire roasting your tootsies - so choose targets with care.... fortunately I can spot (most of the time) when folks are being sarcastic too (come on its a way of life in the UK and one you have to learn damn quickly in some cities) - so no offence taken and no offence intended in the replies. I'm told that I should make more liberal use of smileys though.

You're right people do respond to english better - a lot of folks here use it as a form of sarcasm as well though.

British remarks - note use of smiley in my reply! I've fallen into the trap of 'smokin a fag' with some Americans before now... both countries speak the same language but use it very differently. Actually as a side note - where I come from a cigarette is also called a tab - one guy from down south thought he was getting some acid when offered a tab - mmm was he disappointed when it turned out to be a cancer stick.

Anyway - yes days are long - unlike a lot of folks I know, I try and keep my brain active so I usually spend about an hour on AO of a night and then go do what work I have to (whether personal projects or hang overs from the working day) - I don't normally get to bed until between 12 and 1am.

So ok now we've sorted that lot out - look forward to seeing you around some more