Thread: MS access trashed

MS access trashed

Hi, it's been a long time.
    any way I have a customer who has a rather large access database >50,000 records >50 tables and the damn thing is broken and I don't want to spend 300.00 US to fix it. I have the latest office{microsoft partner program} and all of the bells and whitles but the thing wont repair. I am open to suggestions
    tired of being called an ass

Well, without a little more information with regard to updates, systems, patches, definition of broken, etc. I'd have to ask exactly how valuable is the database, and what is the ongoing cost to the customer who can't get into it?

It might make $300 seem like a bargain. Just a thought.

well lets see, win2k box with all the updates, access 2000 unkonwn if any updates, wrapper is called gofigure I think it is written specificaly for curves but all the techs say is send us the file and a credit card number, btw every update by these guys crashes the whole box. all of the franchises use this software and have the same problem. lucky me gets to try and come up with a better mousetrap. first things first i want to recover the fields in comma delimited format so i can get them into something a little more robust. then i will think about a user friendly frontend

Regal Making Handler
    This article applies only to a Microsoft Access database (.mdb).

Moderate: Requires basic macro, coding, and interoperability skills.
    SYMPTOMS
    When you import a comma delimited text file by using the Import Text Wizard, the following behaviors occur:
    When you import a text file by using the Import Text Wizard, a field that contains data that exceeds the range of Long Integer is still mapped to the Long Integer.
    When you import the same file by using the TransferText method, the field is now correctly mapped to the Double data type. However, another field that contains alphanumeric characters is incorrectly mapped to the Double data type.
    WORKAROUND
    To work around these behaviors, follow these steps:
    Start Access.
    Create a new database.
    On the File menu, point to Get External Data, and then click Import.
    In the Import dialog box, click Text Files in the Files of type section.
    Locate the Source.txt file.
    Click the text file, and then click Import.
    In the Import Text Wizard, click Advanced.
    In the Import Specification dialog box, in the Field Information section, click the row selector for the Field5 field.
    Click the Data Type column, and then in the list box, click Double.
    Click OK to close the Import Specification dialog box.
    Click Next in the Import Text Wizard, and then click Finish to close the Import Text Wizard.
    Click OK in the message box.
    In the Database window, click Tables.
    Double-click the Source table to open it.

Note that the ESN field is correctly mapped to the Double data type, and the data is imported.
    STATUS
    Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
    MORE INFORMATION
    Steps to Reproduce the Problem
    Create the Comma Delimited Text File
    To create the comma delimited text file, follow these steps:
    Start Notepad.
    Paste the following text in Notepad:MasterPack,QCSN,FNCI,MyHex,ESN.P1005C4J5,N108B08V4,FNCI21000000037,7402051F,11600132383P1005C4J5,N108B08T5,FNCI21000000069,74020522,11600132386
    Save the file as source.txt.
    Import the Text File into the Access Database
    To import the text file, follow these steps:
    Start Access.
    Create a new database.
    On the File menu, point to Get External Data, and then click Import.
    In the Import dialog box, click Text Files in the Files of type section.
    Locate the Source.txt text file.
    Click the text file, and then click Import.
    In the Import Text Wizard dialog box, click Next. Click Next in the other Import Text Wizard dialog boxes, and then click Finish to exit the Import Text Wizard.
    Click OK in the message box.
    Right-click the source table, and then click Design View to open the table in Design view.
    Click the row selector for the Field5 field, and verify the Field Size value in the Field Properties pane.

You may see that the Field Size is populated with the Long Integer value.
    Close the Design view window, and then double-click the source table to open the table in Datasheet view.

The data that corresponds to the Field5 column is not imported.
    Close the table.
    Use the TransferText Method
    To use the TransferText method, follow these steps:
    In the Database window, click Modules in the Objects section.
    Click New.
    On the View menu, click Immediate Window.
    Type the following information, and then press Enter: DoCmd.TransferText acImportDelim, "Source_DataViaCode", "C:\Source.txt", True
    Close the Visual Basic Editor.
    Right-click the Source_DataViaCode table , and then click Design View to open the table in Design view.
    Click the row selector for the ESN field , and then verify the Field Size value in the Field Properties pane.
    Click the row selector for the MyHex field, and then verify the Field Size entry in the Field Properties pane.

This came from here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=offxp
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Thanks Jinxy, Somewhere in this mess i work in is all the tips and tricks, but I realy dont have time to search for them.
    It looks like its time to spend a sunday in the office and get it organized
    I have found some problems with the dbase, it seems there might have been some outside influences, (bad hdd and possibly a bad (leaky caps) mobo on the subject box) so It looks like the dbase is going to have to be rebuilt by hand.
    I did find a product called AccessFix 3.8.1 and it showed all of the data!! in all of the tables!! there are some bad fields and weird entrys that i have documented so I think i will try to reair agian with the newest office, if it fails this time I will spend the money for the script
    thanks again people I will try to spend more time here, who knows maybe i can someone else