Thread: Protecting old people from linux and internet

Protecting old people from linux and internet

I would like some directions to look in for the following.

For school we are doing a project in wich we have to suplie 10 pc's with software and install a network in such a way that these's pc's can be used by 65+ people to surf the internet.

We diced to use a linux distro for this. We have not yet diceded witch distro yet.

Now I wan't to lock down and setup these pc's so that they can only start a few apps. Some of these apps have to be able to go onto the internet. We don't want anyhing like firewalls or things like asking users questions because that is asking for trouble we think.

Is it possible to setup a linux ditro out of the box like this or do I need to get other apps. If so what apps.

Thanks in advance.
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I would think something like Knoppix would be the answer to your problems.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Dead Man Walking
    If your looking for ease of use i would suggest either knoppix like MsMittens suggested, Fedora, Mandrake,or SuSe. Placement of the boxes also factors in on this one. Are the machines going to be given to the older people or will they be placed in a librabry of some sort or what. If someone can volunteer to be an admin for a public placement that will make your project go a little smoother

I would recommend either Knoppix, or possibly setting up a bootable linux server, and have the clients go out and get a copy of linux from the server, you could even use a floppy to boot it... None of that expensive custom made NIC's... lol This way you only really have to configure what the server sends out.

The problem is. I'm not looking for a live cd or a distro.

Let me give an example of wath i wan't to try and create. At my school when whe log in instead of using our own harddisk. We get a small novell menu, wich allows us to open a small amount of programs like IE and paint. Everything else is locked no explorer no start no nothing yust the novell thingy.

I would like to create a similar thing in linux. Is there a freeware program for linux that can do this or is there a way to get close to something like this. (I really need to work on a way to get people to understand my questions the first time I ask)

I would recommend either Knoppix, or possibly setting up a bootable linux server, and have the clients go out and get a copy of linux from the server, you could even use a floppy to boot,
    Now this sounds like it could be used. Gives all sorts of nice things. Could you point me to a site or at least a name of something like this.
    Since the beginning of time, Man has searched for the answers to the big questions: \'How did we get here?\' \'Is there life after death?\' \'Are we alone?\' But today, in this very theatre, you will be asked to answer the biggest question of them all...WHO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA?

Hi Moonwolf, that is a very good project you have there.

http://www.knoppix.net/
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

sorry

I didn't mean a link to knoppix.net i know how to find that.

I meant how to setup a client that gets linux form a server. That completly new to me. Could do some nice things with that i think.

I would think that a normal installation on each box would be ok.
    Just customize the menus in the GUI so that only a few apps
    appear, and place their icons on the desktop.

Since each user has his own login, Linux is pretty safe from user mistakes.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.