Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detecting a Keystroke Logging Program

Question Detecting a Keystroke Logging Program

Greetings...I'm looking for some advise/suggestions/guidance on how to detect whether or not a keystroke logging program has been installed onto a computer. Is there some commerically bought program that would pick up most of the keystroke logging programs out there? I understand if someone writes their own program, I may be SOL. I greatly appreciate your help in this matter. Thank you!

Yes sir

Yes there are programs that will detect keylogger programs and other spy software antispy for example is but one of them.

Though I didn't try it yet the features look interesting...maybe someone else knows if it is any good or know some other good anti-trojans anti-spy software I know there are a few outthere.

Try Google and type in keylogger or something or anti spy software ... you'll find some.

Gr33tz
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

You may not be SOL. I found a link on AO for a keylog detector that worked in a pretty clever way. You would hit a start button, type for a while, hit stop, and it would tell you what files were modified since you began. I have no clue what it was called, but it was on a AO post somewhere. Of course, I don't think it would help if it connected to a server. In that case you need a firewall with program control.

One way to detect is to look at keyboards hooks. Kazaa, for example, appears there when it starts (funny, inst it?). You can see there some Antivirus software, like Viruscan.
    On Windows 98 is easy to see, Im not sure where to look on Windows 2000 and above.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

AntiOnline n00b
    Hi Swansiu

Yes programs like antispy works fine. I have AD-Aware it too detects Key-Logger Programs well it did find some for me or may be i was lucky . But if Someone writes his own program or uses a hardware keylogger it would be difficult to detect them.

I don't Know of any Key-Logger Finding tool To find a user Built Keylogger expect to , Check what programs are Starting up on startup . Check out the running processes. and checking for if File that were modified on a givem day if ther too many unusual files modified you can check them out .

and for hardware Check on the underneth of your keyboard they a generally hidden underneth your keyboard.

--Good Luck--

Originally posted here by SwordFish_13
    Hi Swansiu

Yes programs like antispy works fine. I have AD-Aware it too detects Key-Logger Programs well it did find some for me or may be i was lucky . But if Someone writes his own program or uses a hardware keylogger it would be difficult to detect them.

I don't Know of any Key-Logger Finding tool To find a user Built Keylogger expect to , Check what programs are Starting up on startup , and checking for if File that were modified on a givem day if ther too many unusual files modified you can check them out .

--Good Luck--
    Very nice answer additionally you can google other APPs (processes) that you see running via task manager/process list. If you can't find anything out about the process start tracing (I have never experianced this [all processes have lead to something not all sites very informative]). Check what directory is the unidentified process in? Does it produce a log? etc

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

There was this old thread in which I suggested Anti-keylogger

hmm...wouldnt be really hard to code a proggy in C to check what files had changed after typing keystrokes

Thank you for your helpful insight and suggestions in regards to detecting a keystroke logging program on a computer. In doing some more research online, I may have found a program that appears to do exactly what I need. It is Gargoyle Forensic Pro by WetStone Technologies, Inc. (www.wetstonetech.com). Just thought I would pass this info along. Has anyone used this program? Would be interested in reading some testimonials. Thanks again for your help!

Banned
    Greetings All:

Originally posted here by Swansiu
    Thank you for your helpful insight and suggestions in regards to detecting a keystroke logging program on a computer. In doing some more research online, I may have found a program that appears to do exactly what I need. It is Gargoyle Forensic Pro by WetStone Technologies, Inc. (www.wetstonetech.com). Just thought I would pass this info along. Has anyone used this program? Would be interested in reading some testimonials. Thanks again for your help!
    *sniff*sniff*sniff* is this a marketing agent for WetStone Technologies that I smell? *sniff*sniff* 2 posts under his belt, both on this topic *sniff*sniff*sniff* answers his own questions *sniff*sniff* uses words like "testimonials" *sniff*sniff*sniff* correct grammar without spelling errors *sniff*sniff*sniff* Yes, I do believe I am right......

Now, let's wait a day or so and see if a user with only 1 post under his belt posts a "testimonal" about this software

I need to write a new chapter about marketing executives for my "How To Be A Hacker Profiler" series......