Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M$ Access DB Protection

M$ Access DB Protection

Hi there, I have a database that I'd like to password protect. I thought I had it sorted by just opening in exclusive mode and Tools > Security > Set Database Password.

However it was then brought to my attention that there are programs like the one I have attached then can find the password in the blink of an eye.

I've tried setting up different user accounts on the database but it doesn't seem to work, I'm using Access 2003 if it helps any.

Currently there isn't much sensitive information in the database but I'm slowly but surely converting the entire site to call on the database for pretty much everything. The site is here by the way.
    I am almost finished on a blooging script that I will use for the News section and I will use an Admin's only guestbook style script for the Articles. I also want to automate the member sign up process and store passwords inside the database so that they can be no "imposters" in the guestbook so long as a user is registered.

Well I hope you enjoyed my spiel about what the database is for. Can you help me solve my little security problem?
    I know the moment\'s near and there\'s nothing we can do
    look through a faithless eye are you afraid to die?

Websites I coded: www.fsg-uk.com | www.hackus.tk

OK,

I admit I have not had a chance to play with the 2003 version yet, but I would make the general comment that MS Office is not designed for security as such. I have always used the operating system or third party software (file protection)

I would be interested if someone has a solution using the more recent versions (2000 onwards)

Cheers

AO French Antique News Whore
    Office 2000 and lower file protection COULD be crack in 5 minutes but since OfficeXP, cracking under 5 minutes is not working anymore. The only way to crack an OfficeXP (and probably Office 2003) access file is by brute force. And brute force take time.

If you want more info, I suggest you check http://www.elcomsoft.com/ Those guy are the best in password recovery. Look like Office 2003 security protection is the same that Office XP.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Regal Making Handler
    Also you should be able it encrypt the datbase, for another layer of security. I maybe wrong but don't pasword recovery apps have to be run locally?

If so, strong security on access to the machine hosting the database would seem to be a good idea,

Jinxy
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Jinxy,

I suspect that part of the problem is that M$ Access supports both thin and thick client deployment so the security tends to travel with the app? so it must have it embedded in it.

Access is not a strategic development tool anyways, you should use SQLDB? I would say that Access is really a "trusted environment" tool?

Office 2000 and lower file protection COULD be crack in 5 minutes
    I want to work for Simon, he allows you a beer break half way through

Cheers

Hmmmmmm..............I must try 2003..............

Originally posted here by SDK
    The only way to crack an OfficeXP (and probably Office 2003) access file is by brute force. And brute force take time.
    Are you kidding me? The program I posted decrypts an Access password literally as soon as you click the button. The password is also very long, has upper and lowercase letters, numbers and non-alpha numeric characters in it.

I'll look into different types of databases then, do any of you know if Oracle is any good, or perhaps you can recommend a better one?

Lavalamp............

Shame on you sir!, you used a tool.............next thing you will be "diving in the penalty box"?

I would have thought that MS SQLDB would be adequate, but Oracle is a brilliant DB..............I don't know what will work best with your server and the apps you are using..............I guess that Oracle might be "overkill"?

Cheers

Incidentally, Access tends to be limited with more than a few users if it is not pure "look up".......it has its own sort of DoS mechanism. Also look at using the "developer toolkit" which allows much more secure distributions of Access.

Just my thoughts

I didn't use a tool, I didn't even know about that tool until a couple of days ago until a prat went into the guest book and posted the password to the database in the name, email and message fields.

You know anywhere that sells MS SQLDB in the UK, preferably somewhere with a physical presence. I assume that it's not just something that I can go into PC World and pick up off the shelf. (I'd also like to say that PC World suck and drastically over charge on everything except RAM sticks.)

AO French Antique News Whore
    Last time I try to crack a Office File (Excel XP file), I had to brute force it. Most the information I found about password cracking are from http://www.elcomsoft.com/ . Those guy got tool ($$) for password recovery. If you know a software can crack OfficeXP or Office 2003 file under 5 minutes, tell us, we'll tested it!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Hi Lavalamp,

Just contact Microsoft UK................yeah it is well supported by them and their minions..........they will put you in touch with someone local........

(I'd also like to say that PC World suck and drastically over charge on everything except RAM sticks.)
    "as well as RAM sticks............" buy them direct from Crucial in Scotland..............good price and special delivery post, free of charge....lifetime guarantee..................hell you could stand in a PC world shop for as long, waiting to be served

I still think Sun + Solaris +Oracle............ack!..........that reminds me.............I must go buy a lottery ticket

Please keep us informed