Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free Hit Counters?

T3h Ch3F

Free Hit Counters?

Greetings Friends:

I am interested in adding a hit counter to my website, I have spent a considerable amount of time reading up on several sites that offer them. I just feel nervous regarding the word Free. Thus my apprehesion of downloading one.

Nothing is ever truly free. I would hate for my "guests" to endure Popup hell at the expense of me looking like an ass. I am aware that many of them have self-adverts on them, that is not my question.

Just wondering if anyone has any further information regarding this issue.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will pay for one, for those of you who think I am Cheap. lol

Thanks in advance.

Nic

Get some good religion from Bad Religion.

You could probably find a free one written in php if you own your server, and have php installed. Other than that, good luck finding one without ad support. :/

Counters

Counters are just dynamic graphics or images of numbers created or displayed by a script.
    Depending on whether your site host is (eg, geocities) web admin based or you have an entire server, or part of one with ftp access, you will have to choose between two different ways of getting a counter. Since you probably have a web admin based host you will want to go with the option of using another site to host the script that counts for your site, if you have ftp and a cgi capable server you can put the script on your server through ftp and set up your own counter(s). If you are new to counters, or don't have cgi capablities on your host/server then use another site to get your counter(s) from.

If you want to try and install one yourself, here is a link with a list of some, you need to have cgi capablities to run these. If your host is free then you probably won't be able to run your own cgis.
    http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Program...ers/Graphical/

T3h Ch3F

Re: Counters

Originally posted here by comptech2
    Counters are just dynamic graphics or images of numbers created or displayed by a script.
    Thanks for your response, no offence but I know this. hehe

I am not that much of a noo8, although I behave like one, I just drink too much.

To clarify my question, has anyone ever had any problems with pre-made counters, regarding Spyware.

Rgds.

Nic

Edit- Ty POP. FYI- Punch Out is still one my favorite original Arcade games. heh

I use Site Meter {Here} on 2 different sites. And since I am cheap, I use the free one, which does not give me the indepth statistics of the paid one.
    I use one on my site at freewebs and one on a MSN group site that I run.
    There is not a problem with popups or adds as niether one provide any. I don't know exactly how they pay for their service, unless it is just to entice users into buying their pay version.
    As far as I can tell, there is not a downside to using their product.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Code:
    <?php
    $file = fopen("count.txt", "r");
    $count=(int)fread($file, filesize("count.txt"));
    fclose($file);
    $count++;
    $file = fopen("count.txt", "r+");
    if (fputs($file, $count)==FALSE)
    {
       print "file error \n";
    }
    fclose($file);
    echo "$count";
    ?>

rename your index.html to index.php

go to the location you want the counter and add the above code..

it's the easiest counter I can think off..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

just to clarify as well the code jinxy posted is reading and writing to a txt file - count.txt (feel free to correct me if am wrong) so you will also need to ensure the .txt file is chmood to the right levels

v_Ln

I have to question one part of that code..
    why "r+" when you can "w", doesn't r+ concatenate? That would make for a long file given that its used a lot.
    And is === a parse error? Or is that something I haven't learned yet?
    Edit- Ty POP. FYI- Punch Out is still one my favorite original Arcade games. heh
    I just beat the original on NES recently to win a bet. Tyson is a beyatch.

oops, changed that !!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

T3h Ch3F
    Thanks for the Code Jinxy, and the correction.

I truly appreciate the awesome responses by you guys!

P:

On a Light Note-

This is just funny, what would Satan do if he needed a counter?

http://www.christiansunite.com/hit/'