Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dating service pop ups?

Dating service pop ups?

I know we have ads, and that doesn't bother me, but is the dating service one a mistake? Or has some dating service bought space that makes an ad pop up syaing date my wife, or something like that? When it pops up I can't seem to click on anything near it.

Just wondering about it.

It doesn't pop up every time, and when I refresh the page it goes away.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    It may not be from here. I've seen this kind of activity once or twice before with others. Might be some spyware. What OS and Browser is it?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    It may not be from here. I've seen this kind of activity once or twice before with others. Might be some spyware. What OS and Browser is it?
    I agree...sounds almost like you forgot to turn off messenger service the last time you changed operating systems.

Heh heh heh, you don't think that anybody could be trying to tell you something Gore?
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Well, I have a pop up blocker from Spybot, and it was on my XP box. I don't have messenger running on it, and it's never been used on that box since the last format. I'll check into it and do another search and on the box and see if that's it. The add is big and colorful, not a little pop up window.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Give a try to HiJackThis! and see if there are any unusual registry entries. I have a feeling that Spybot isn't picking this up. I'm going to move this thread to Spyware since it seems more of a general issue rather than AO specific.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Regal Making Handler
    Hi gore,

Have a quick wander over to: http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

They have a script running. That will let you no if you have any obviouse Spyware.

Off the we site

Your browser has been checked for parasites. None were found. (However this script cannot detect all of them!)
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Jinxy,

That site worked well with IE and Slim Browser, but it didn't like Firefox:

Quote:

Your browser has not been checked for parasites, because it isn’t Internet Explorer 5 (or later) on Windows.

For technical reasons, the automatic-detection feature on this web page can only work with IE/Win, with “Active scripting” and “Run ActiveX controls” enabled.

(Other browsers and operating systems tend not to be so badly affected in any case.)

arggggggg FireFox has been hanging on me so I was hoping....oh well hyjackthis time.

cheers.

Hey gore...

I picked up a hijack a while ago that would add a popup onto the site i visited most frequently, which was my university site. It wasn't on my favorites, it was just the one I visited the most at the time. It was a while ago, but I this CWS from merjin took care of it, if not hijack this will do the trick.
    BTW I haven't seen any popups from AO.

you got a dating service popup ? and.. did it look promising ? hehehe..

yep.. I think MsM is right about trying hijackthis.. of course, do the adaware and spybot scans first.. post your HJT log and I'll take a look at it. (make sure you've got windows explorer set to show hidden files.)

Re: Dating service pop ups?

Originally posted here by gore
    I know we have ads, and that doesn't bother me, but is the dating service one a mistake? Or has some dating service bought space that makes an ad pop up syaing date my wife, or something like that? When it pops up I can't seem to click on anything near it.

Just wondering about it.

It doesn't pop up every time, and when I refresh the page it goes away.
    No, there's no mistake Gore. The internet just knows you are hard up, and you need some tail so it's trying to bring tail to you instead of you going out and having to lookj for it. hehehehehe
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson