Thread: Web development

Web development

Hey, I have some very basic questions which may have been asked and answered on AO before, which i haven't been able to locate. Basically, I wan't to create my own webpage. I want to run it all independtly. I mean everything. I am quite new to web development and know nothing about it. I want to know the basic things I must set up for this web site to be able to have paintball gun buying customers where I'll sell used paintball guns on my site. So a tutorial, link, or basic list of definitions or what I need to do would be great.
    Those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind. Ah the great Dr. Suess.

HOW does he do it? Ask me if you get stumped.

ok you want to do everything yourself? and your looking at an ecomerce site? so you want to set up/host your own server - take your own orders (prolly including CC transactions) and design the page. To be honest I think its a bit too much. Setting up your own server has its own problems as you ahve to ensure it is secure - without adding in to that the fact you have to be really secure if your going to be handling and storring peoples CC info.

Your best bet IMHO is to go for a remote hosting solution - there ae plenty of hosts out there which are quite cheap which offer secure connections for accepting CC payments - or you could use a third party company to handle them that way you ahve no worries about what happnes if security is compromised and details go missing - there was a post in webdevelopment a while ago about taking CC payments and third party companies with some good info from GreekGoddess.

Designing the site itself if your completyly new I suggest learning HTML - then CSS as well as PHP - also from the nature of the site your hoping to design I would suggest learning some databasing like mySQL

There are huge amounts of sites offering free tutorilas onlearning these things - and I know you prolly heard it a million times before but your best bet is to google for them.

v_Ln

Hey I really appreciate the heads up. Yes now that reality is sinking in, it seems I either need to hire someone else as well or go with the remote option. Well thanks again.
    Those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind. Ah the great Dr. Suess.

HOW does he do it? Ask me if you get stumped.