Thread: Apache and Routers

Apache and Routers

Hi I have a D-Link DSL 504 adsl router, ive set it to port re-direct port 80 requests to my linux box.

I cant test this myself to see if its working, so would you check the following (current) address http://81.136.173.61 and tell me if you see a fedora core holding page?

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Nope, it times out on me.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

thanks for trying.

I dont have much experience of setting routers up.

if you can offer any suggestions I would be grateful.

Have you set up iptables correctly in order to allow incoming packets on port 80 for the web server? It may be the case that the router is doing the port forwarding correctly but your local machine is blocking the packets at the software level (I have exactly the same router as you and have had this problem when I first tried using Apache).
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Just Another Geek
    Does BT allow you to ssh/telnet to their servers? I know I can with my provider.
    If you're on one of their servers you can telnet to port 80 on your own address.

That should help you test your setup.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Originally posted here by pwaring
    Have you set up iptables correctly in order to allow incoming packets on port 80 for the web server? It may be the case that the router is doing the port forwarding correctly but your local machine is blocking the packets at the software level (I have exactly the same router as you and have had this problem when I first tried using Apache).
    Thanks, I will try this.