Thread: Stupid router

Stupid router

Alright, earlier today my little network couldn't connect to the internet, I knew that it was the router, so I did a quick reset, didn't work. So I pulled the plug for 15 seconds and I also reset my cable modem. That worked. I had to re setup my router, This has happened a few times in the past and is getting pretty stupid. My routers documentation says that heavy downloading, surfing, etc can jam up the router and to give a quick reset. that would keep my settings, but that doesn't work. The logs that the router keeps are lost when i pull the plug, so i can't check the logs to see if someone is messing with us. My roomate is a filesharer which connects to hubs, and ip addresses are visible. I was thinking that someone in one of these hubs is messing with us? or should I smash my router with a brick and get a new one?
    Thanks for any help, you guys rock!
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I have been using your configuration with Linksys and D-Link routers for some 4 years now and this never happened to me.

You might want to tell your room mate to quit filesharing.... If for no other reason that since he is using your equipment and you are aware of it then you may become liable too if he gets caught. It might fix your problem too..... Also, did you ever upgrade the firmware?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

no, I never updated the firmware, which is stupid of me to not do and I am going to now. My roomate has his own computer running win XP and I am running Fedora Core 1. In the beginning I was hoping that if any hacker decided to pick on him I (using linux) would probably not get bothered. I wasn't thinking about the router getting messed with tho.

Oh, I got the update, but I can't use the program that the instructions say to use because i'm using linux. How can I get around that? I looked around linksys's site and didn't find any help.
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Er.... Use your roomie's computer......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Sorry, sometimes I think too hard for my own good. Thanks