Thread: Changing harddisk space

Changing harddisk space

Why does the free space on your harddisk change every time you boot or start/terminate processes?It'd be understandable if it changed by something like 5MB cos of temp files..but it sometimes seems to change by amounts like 30MB..is there a reason for this...or is my comp telling me to throw it out the window and get a new one?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Which OS are you using? I would hazard to guess if it's a Windows platform it's very likely the swap file altering in size based on usage for various applications. In addition, you might want to double check how much information is kept in cache by your browser. I've seen this as high as 200MB on one machine.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Yes,

Check your browser settings for how many days you are keeping history for. If you have a heavy internet session, "x" days later, that space will suddenly be released?

No,it cant be my history on any other temporary files in my cache for my browser,I tend to delete all that every day,so its prolly just the swap file alterations