Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet Catche

Internet Catche

Does anyone know how you could go about making a program to delete your internet cache every time the refresh button is clicked?
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

Why don't you just have your browser clear it on exit?

I know Mozilla/Firefox has this option. I'll bet most others do too... Even IE.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

There are plenty of freeware programs that you can set to run in the background and periodically clean out your cache. Check out EmpRunner.

I would not be inclined to interfere with an existing browser function. I would get a cache cleaner like AngelicKnight has suggested and run it from a hotkey...........that would be safer and more stable? And you wouldn't have to worry about browser upgrades.

Just a thought?

Banned
    Greetings All:

The EASIEST way to do this, is hold the shift key down when you hit refresh (assuming you're using IE, not sure if this works with the others or not). This will expire the cache for the site that you are visiting, and pull the content fresh from that site's servers.

If you are more worried about privacy than the content's "Freshness", you might want to look to commercial solutions such as "Evidence Eliminator". It will clear your cache, page file, "Recently Accessed" files for a bunch of different programs, etc. etc. blah blah.

hmm I was wondering,why cant you do the same with a batch file?I tried it,but it doesnt seem to be able to delete the cookies n stuff

Are you trying to cheat on www.hackthissite.org? Getting others to do the work for you?

It got defaced though so that challenge is now non-existent.

(For those who don't know, there was a programming challenge on that site where you must write a program that will clear browser cache when you click the Refresh button.)

But back to the topic... What I'd do is use Windows API. Make it capture mouse clicks, and if the click is inside a certain set of X, Y coordinates, then run some function to delete those files/folders. The bad part about this is the browser window has to always be maximized or in the same position.

It sounds fairly straightforward, but I don't think I'm up to the challenge. I just clear Mozilla's cache manually every once in a while. Works for me.

mjk

Jareds411 -
    From your profile, it looks like you are running WindowsXP . . . if not, please correct me and I can adjust my post. Because of my own concern with IE's cache, specifically the index.dat files, I've tried and disgarded most of the freeware, shareware and commercial products claiming to clear/clean the index.dat files. At the Hardware Hell forum, I found various batch file solutions for Microsoft OS's ranging from Windows 98 through Windows XP. Here is one for Windows XP:
    rem put in startup folder and it'll clean each time upon logging in
    rem save to text file named something like cleanxp.cmd
    rem to clean index.dat files must logoff completely. Switch users wont' cut it.
    rem
    @echo on
    cd %homedrive%%homepath%
    rd /s/q locals~1\tempor~1
    rd /s/q locals~1\temp\tempor~1
    rd /s/q cookies
    rd /s/q temp\cookies
    rd /s/q locals~1\history
    rd /s/q locals~1\temp\history
    rd /s/q recent
    md recent
    rd /s/q locals~1\temp
    md locals~1\temp
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    ;save to text named something like url_recent.reg works for 2000 and XP
    ; cleans IE URL drop down list and recent docs, suggest placing in startup folder
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RecentDocs]
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs]

PLEASE NOTE: I have NOT used this batch file/registry fix as the systems I work on are primarily 98 or 2K - so use at your own risk. It has been a while since I checked back at their forum (www.hardwarehell.com) so there may be additions and/or updates to what I originally found from their contributors. If you decide you might want to use a batch file, I would strongly suggest checking for the latest info.

Another tried and true info gathering resource is Google. Searching for index.dat, cache, cookies, history, temporary internet files, etc., will supply you with all sorts of programs and data on the subject. I hope this has been a little helpful.

V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I don't understand why everyone wants to clear the cache the hard way, manually going into tools and internet options and clearing cache from there works just fine for me.
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

There are several batch file recipies to be found on the 'net.
    Since I'm sort of a newb to the CLI, I opted for another way,
    which I commented on a few days ago in another thread.
    If you have Spybot Search & Destroy, you can shredd your
    index.dat files with it.
    I have XP Pro:
    IE must not be running, and hidden files must be viewable. Drill into your Temporary Internet Files folder or
    search for index.dat in explorer and drag and drop it/them into the 'shredder window' of Spybot. Chop away. You'll have to restart your box.

A nickel and two cents,