This isn't intended to cause a "my OS os better than yours " argument..... It's my observations as someone who tried to run a linux install some 5 or 6 years ago, gave up, stuck with Windows, but that seriously want's to use linix for it's better support of security related tools.

I'll put my "personal" thought's in square brackets.....

So... I order my shiny new Redhat Linix Fedora Core Bible... Maybe it was the wrong one to order.... But there's a gazillion flavors out there... who would know? [There's really only WinXP/Pro available to the masses].

I eagerly unpack it and decide, having read the system requirements detailed in the book that to run the GUI, [Granny isn't going to start learning to type and, frankly, till I get used to it, I'm figuring the GUI will fit my "windows" mindset], that the "less than cutting edge" laptop I wanted to use it on, (that Linux exponents say runs on less "adequate" hardware), just isn't going to cut it. [In fact, they are basically the same as an efficient XP install - shock].

Ok, no problem, I understand dual boot, partitions etc. I'll repartition and dual boot it on my spanking new Dell Inspiron 1100 with the 2.4G pentium 4 and 512Mb Ram.... That should "kill it". The install was actually not very painful and it didn't screw up my WinXP load.... Yay...

Well.... Now the problems start..... First, the damn thing won't show me more than 640x480 screen on a nice 15" monitor.... Bummer trying to work on an 8x5 screen. The problem here is that I am also in my satellite office - wireless... I don't know how to access the NTFS partition where I can download the fix so I have to wait till I get back to work and hope that it really does recognize the eth0 and conect me to the sites I need. [If it doesn't then I'm screwed, I don't have a floppy on here that it does try to mount and I'm not skilled in mounting a "homemade" CD.... my problem? Of course... But I'm coming from a noob POV here].

Well, I get back to work and, fortunately, the eth0 really does work..... Well, if I don't use DHCP which my network is perfectly well set up to provide..... I think I actually caused a conflict.... Unfortunately, being the linux noob I am, I have no idea how to find my IP address - yeah, Gnome gives me my DNS servers etc. but not my IP..... [Thats deeper than granny could go..... but it was a source of frustration]. Well.... I set my IP as fixed and it worked. I d/led the RPM, double clicked it and waited....This isn't a slow box.... well... it isn't in XP.... Some 15 seconds later it reacts..... after my thoughts of "well, you can't just double click an rpm".... [ok... it isn't "optimized".... but it isn't fast..... It's slower than my XP load.... Much slower.... Noticed it on several things including boot]

So now it fills the screen.... "Magic" thinks me, now I can work..... Well.... my real job calls so I find myself back at that satellite office... wireless again.... Now this isn't an uncommon wireless card, (Linksys WPC54g), there has to be some support out there for it just like there was for the Dell monitor issue....(the Linksys driver disk doesn't have any Linux drivers... period....) [still have the problem that I can't access the NTFS partition from the Fedora load but I can't access the net from anything but the NTFS partition.... Can we say, rock and hard place].... I search around and find that I have to purchase a driverloader from linuxant.com to be able to run my wireless card. [So much for "free" and "open source"]

So..... Now I have to go back to work to get the eth0 up so I can pay for something to make my card work so that I can begin to play with this thing and dl all the things I need to make it do what I want to do during the time I can spare the most to do it......

I've had it two days.... and I have had _no_ benefit.... I have had a few "aw shitz"... funnily enough I formatted the drive and installed XP from scratch.... It ran perfectly and I only needed the linksys CD to run up the wireless card. I'm sure that there are many out there that could overcome my problems..... But you know the OS.... I'm a noob.... I know nothing of the file structure etc. etc. and how to access them... I can't even get to my keyfob.... XP shows it to me immediately...... That would have really helped......

That's why windows will continue to rule..... people who know nothing can make it do what they want it to do.... I understand how the bloody thing works..... but I can't make it work without jumping through hoops even though I have a pretty detailed knowledge of the principles that it works on.....

PS: I WILL BEAT THIS POS.... IT"S ONLY A COMPUTER!!!!!!