Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I noticed that JP is a "premium member"

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

I noticed that JP is a "premium member"

I saw that JP is a premium member, is it possible for me to be one? if so, how?? thanx bye.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

No, because you must work with Jupitermedia (the one's whom own it) JP is premium member because he owned it before them. In other words he is the founder.
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

Banned
    Greetings all:

"Premium" membership was going to be the next logical progression of the AntiPoints system. The idea being, after a certain point, users would be upgraded to the Gold Dot, and could no longer be banned by the system.

The thinking, was that if members kept accumulating points over a looong time frame, the "hit" that users would take, either positive or negative, when one of these members gave a post assignment, would be too significant. (I think we're seeing these negative side effects of the AntiPoint System now).

The AntiPoints system was intended to be used to weed out bad apples that signed up for the sole purpose of causing problems. After a user has been a member for several months, and had accumulated a certain number of AntiPoints, the system would no longer view that user as a "new user that might have just signed up to cause trouble", and the AntiPoints System would have less and less of an effect on them as time progressed.

Eventually, users that contributed a lot on a regular basis over a long period of time, would be recognized with the "gold dot", their AntiPoints would stay at a set level from that point forward. Potentially, users that made a financial contribution to the site by signing up for pay services could also prove their lack of ill intent that way, and "speed up" the process of being trusted by the system (but not being automatically trusted just for paying for services), although any pay services would have come at a later date after the "Gold Dot" was already implemented.

Jupiter Media acquired the site before any of this was finished, and it's currently in the same state of repair that it was at that time (I think?).

I was a "premium member" as part of the feature when i was coding it. I added jupman and intmon as one shortly after Jupiter Media acquired the site, to stop them from being banned by users (members got a kick out of being able to ban the new owners shortly after the acquisition went through, ooops). This is why you see so few of us with the "Gold Dot".

I would assume at some point or another Jupiter Media will take a look at the AntiPoints System, and either refine it by finishing it, or by implementing a system of their own. I would imagine by now many members have a staggering number of AntiPoints accumulated, and the system will start becoming more and more self defeating.....

With the AP system, one thing that they have done already, is knock down the hit they cause. I'm not sure of the date, but I I know that the AP system was taken down in half so that people assigning APs only assign half of what they used to.

That was because indeed, when JP started the system, no one probably thought anyone would ever get as full of APs as some have, me included. The APs along with mods like MsMittens and Negative watching out for things that don't require something for Intmon for example, can be done easily.

If someone causes trouble, they can be negged to all hell, and when one of the mods sees it they can take more action. I havn't seen many threads anymore from trouble makers. It's kind of like being voted off the island.

Of course we all love flaming the newbies who think it's cute to ask how to break into hotmail accounts. I found a way and posted in addicts, but of course it was a great, fun thread.

If you read it you probably got a giggle out of it.

I think the system works fine the way it is right now, I mean, come on, everyone here knows just about everyone here who posts frequently, and I'm sure that by now people can safely assume I won't one day just spam the hell out of the boards, or make a big mess for the mods to deal with anytime soon, as everyone here knows how I am.

And of course if this ever did happen, I'm quite sure someone would ask me what happened before taking action. It's a respect thing. You'll have to excuse the long post and lack of posts from me in the last 3 days, I'm not feeling well.

Allergies and a cold of some sort have me feeling like a BOFH at a bar with the IT manager's credit card...The next day.

And of course if this ever did happen, I'm quite sure someone would ask me what happened before taking action. It's a respect thing. You'll have to excuse the long post and lack of posts from me in the last 3 days, I'm not feeling well.
    No maybe peaple respect you in some ways... but mostly what happends is you'll be banned as quickly as possable. If others have constant problems with you then you'll get absolutly no questions, no warnings what so ever, you won't pass go and collect $200. The only time respect comes into play is when you get e-mail from MsM or someone else asking what happened & telling you about some of the things peaple say behind your back... or peaple e-mail asking you when and if you'll come back... all of this of course happends after you've been banned. None of this changes anything. Any chance of you getting a "2nd chance" is utter crap they feed ya. What usually happends is

A: If you sign up with a new account while you are banned or just being reviewed of being worthy enought to come back with the same account... what usually happends is JupM just says screw ya your already back with a new account, if you had problems before then clearly everything is fine now.

B: JupM feels a need to (punish you.)

C: You'll slowly realise how boreing being a senior member with like 11 dots is... seriously once you reach that stage there is nothing left to gain. Pluse when your a newbie peaple don't kiss your ass as much. It all adds to the excitement.

AntiOnline n00b
    hey Guys wanted to ask this For a Long time But didn't get a chance i know why JP is a Premium Member . But why is this Guy a Premium Member . Ratman2

The Ratman2 account was stolen via social engineering, and the true culprit reappeared (as Office) when the Ratman2 account was once again banned. All of the culprit's accounts have since been banned.
    And the reason why there is a Gold Dot under the user name is so that the other admins know not to re-activate that account.

here's the link to this quote in question
    f2b

I like the points system for the most part, except for one thing: the balance issue! I'm being restricted by the system now because I've given out too many positive points and too little negs. Problem is, there's no one to neg nowadays! Almost everyone gives at least decent posts. So now my points power is unduely limited. *whines profusely*

Not that that means anything of any importance of course, just wanted to throw that in there.

Banned
    Originally posted by SwordFish_13
    hey Guys wanted to ask this For a Long time But didn't get a chance i know why JP is a Premium Member . But why is this Guy a Premium Member . Ratman2
    He is? Heh... In his profile, it says that he's banned. Same in the User Admin panel. Where do you see that he's a Premium Member?

He is? Heh... In his profile, it says that he's banned. Same in the User Admin panel. Where do you see that he's a Premium Member?
    I think that he's just referring to the little yellow.gif under the user handle Negative