Thread: Security + "flashcards"

Security + "flashcards"

Well, school is out for the summer.

The class I was going to take was canceled.

I hate not doing anything because I'll get lazy and out of routine.

I picked up a Security + book a while back and decided that I'd go ahead and take that cert.

I came across a program a while back for the palm pilot that will allow you to create custom "quizes" or flashcards. You can create them in either flashcards or multiple guess.
    http://www.quizapp.com/

I decided to give it a go. I started creating these flash cards and thought it'd be a good idea to allow others to use them.

Here is my problem:

I own this book... so I'm allowed to make these flashcards with the info in it.
    The multiple guess questions I'm creating are right out of the end of each chapter.
    I'm only using these for personal use at the moment.
    (gives me something to do while waiting for my girlfriend while she is shopping or etc.)

It is really a cool program and will help me and possibly others study for the cert.
    You can load it up right to your palm pilot and take the questions with you.
    You can create custom quizzes and all that jazz.

Would I be violating the copyright if I make these available to others?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hi Phish~

Trust you to find a site with no small print

I found this though:

# Beaming: Beam QuizApp and QuizApp modules quickly and easily to your friends and colleagues by tapping the Beam button on the main application screen.
    I guess that implies you can share. Somewhere deep in the bowels of their corporate legal stuff it probably has a clause that says you can't charge more than media costs or whatever?

Cheers

nihil: I see that you can share this app. It is "freeware" for the app. It costs you money to create adanced modules. But, I can create 50 question modules at no charge. So, 10 questions per chapter, 5 chapters per module and 3 modules for this book... so it would end up with 150 questions to review. I'll just call them "Security + P1", "Security + P2", etc.

I'm just wondering if I'm allowed to share these modules because of the content in them.

The modules are nothing more than me typing out the questions and answers in the back of each chapter. This is what I want to know if I'd be violating copyright.

I don't plan to charge for them.

I sent an email to the technical editor of the book, so hopefully he'll be able OK it.
    I even offered it to him to include in his next version of the book. He'd just have to modify it some.

I told him that I just wanted to share it with a small computer security community who would have to buy the book to get the full effect of the quizzes. If anything... it might sell him more books. They won't be loosing any money from this...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.