Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: locked windows XP..

locked windows XP..

greets everyone...

here is a li'l problem one of mt frens is facing...

he uses winXP pro and used to login thrugh the admin account only.. now recently... his cousin cam to see them .. and was quiet addicted to the p.c. (he also used the same account) but this friend of mine dint like it.. and created a separate guest account for him.. but this cousin bro was one step ahead .. he logged in through the admin account and changed the password and went off to his native... now .. my friend is stuck up.. as he has just the guest account to have an access.. and cant do anythign about the admin privilages..

i tried to google also.. but all i could know was tht only if i have the rescue disks made frm tht p.c. .. i can change the admin password....other wise i can use the default admin account which is made during installation.. but the worst part .. is the same account is locked...

i hope to get a solution here....i myself use winXP Pro and tried to look for all kinds of password files and Sam files on my system...but no use...

please help.. and take my word for it.. im NOT TRYING TO HACK INTO ANYONE ELSE'S BOX.
    [shadow][gloworange]there are 10 types of people in this world,
    those who understand binary...and those who dont.[/gloworange][/shadow]

Banned
    Im not sure, but couldnt you boot up into safe mode and make a Admin account, im not sure if it's possible to create an account in safe mode, never tried it, but it's worth a try.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Offline NT Password and Registry Editor Bootdisk. I'll leave the ethical issues up to you. Enjoy.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Why not format C:/ and just re-install XP, and have the admin account changed? I mean, unless he has anything of value on his PC (he could save that to disc by the way) then formatting wouldn't be a bad idea. Like MemorY, I'm not too sure about what booting in safe mode could do for you because I don't have XP but I assume if you also did that and maybe could access admin from there? Dunno.. does XP have the same system restore that WinMe does? No, right? Because if it did, then you could boot in safe mode and system restore back to a few days earlier than the changing of the password's.

Blah, I think I'm starting to ramble. Answer some of my question's and I'll help you out.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Log in as guest, save important files, format the HDD and reinstall the operating system. Then reload your data.

Create the backup diskettes THIS TIME?

Create a super user account, rename the admin account and keep its password safe.

Make sure that you have a firewall running, and update windows..............helps if you have the free CD from microsoft.

Cheers

you cant change password on safe mode at xp. You still need administrator (or equivalent) password to get access. If it is possible, every user on corporate computers could get access to admin and install garbage.
    The only i know (besides re-install) is to use Petter Nordahl-Hagen utility as mencioned before. There is an version that supports XP.
    But it is at your own risk, because that tool can damage your disk data (sometimes it happens)
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Most offline password changers work well as long as the default location of the passwords was not changed. I always recommend changing the default location of password storage for critical machines as its just one more hurdle if you can't prevent physical access.

Passware is another tool that works well to reset admin account passwords.

Always wished MS would allow a UNIX like single user mode from console to change admin
    password if lost or forgotten..

SGS

thanks guys for an early response...

well XP doesnt allow to change passwords in safe mode...and even if system is restored to a earlier point .. the passwords remain the same...i have tried it on my own box...

i have already downloaded the files msmittens has suggested.. i hope those work.. if not, then i always have the other option as u all have mentioned, to format the disk...
    [shadow][gloworange]there are 10 types of people in this world,
    those who understand binary...and those who dont.[/gloworange][/shadow]

Passware is another tool that works well to reset admin account passwords.
    Hrmm, where can I get this "Passware" program. I'd like to see it and it's website, etc because that program look's (well, sounds like) as if it could be used the wrong way. For instance, a hacker could easily use it on a school computer or his home computer to get admin privledge's because his mom/teacher/admin set a password. He would use that to make the password reset, so that program seem's like it could be used the wrong way.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Originally posted here by ss2chef

Always wished MS would allow a UNIX like single user mode from console to change admin
    password if lost or forgotten..

SGS
    I hope they dont listen your wishes.... i
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.