Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big kudos if you can figure this out!

Question Big kudos if you can figure this out!

Windows 2000 Professional will not install. I've tried:

1) 2 Different W2k CDs (one SP1-updated and the other SP2-updated)
    2) 2 Different CD drives
    3) 3 Different hard drives
    4) Swapped all IDE cables
    5) Removed all non-critical hardware (so no driver issues)
    6) Reformatted and repartitioned hard drive during Windows setup

And still, nothing. Also consider that this is a reinstallation. W2k was already up and operating, and was removed for a new installation for a new user. So you'd think that means BIOS is ok as well.

And so there you have it. The problem is that it is failing to copy many of the critical files from the CD (either CD, so it's not a CD issue).

So I'm all out of ideas. Anyone ever run into this before, or know of something else to try?

Does it give you an error? Or does it just say it cannot copy the files? How far do you get in the installation of 2k?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Specs and error message?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Just says it cannot copy files. When this happens just seems to depend on how lucky I am. Usually it happens during the first stages of installation when files are first copied. If I make it that far, however, then it will freeze during installation of network components.

AMD Athlon Processor (as in old school)
    All three hard drives attempted with are Western Digital, ranging from 15-30 Gb.

Hi Angelic,

Five you missed?

1. Ram failing?
    2. Video drivers?
    3. Power Supply Failing?
    4. Processor Overheating
    5. HDD failing/overheating (OK I would expect message with disk damage, but overheating............very insidious?)

Just a few thoughts?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Sounds like might be controller issue.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

1. RAM should be ok
    2. That's a possibility...
    3. May check that out too...
    4. It actually has been because the fan died -- I have a makeshift fan rigged up (it's actually too larage, but functioning) until Gateway ships the new one
    5. Shouldn't be, but I certainly won't rule it out

So how do you resolve controller issues?

Well, it seems you have changed everything but the Main Board and the Memory. I had a similar problem about 3 years ago. And it was a ram issue as Nihil has suggested. I was randomly dumping files during the install process and as soon as I popped a new one in, it loaded up properly.

If you want, rig one of those WD drives up as a slave on another known to be good machine and see if you can install it. If nothing else, it's a morale booster...

cheers.

OK a rethink:

Not the video drivers as you havent got that far.............card could be on the way out though, but you are not really stressing it?

For HDD temp, just try with the case off.............you should get further?

Check the processor temp in the BIOS...........check fan etc

I would now go for:

1. Failing RAM..............try a different stick. 128Mb will do for the test?
    2. Try a different power supply

And if none of that works, I would wonder about the MoBo?

Good luck

EDIT: Try cheating. On as similar machine as you can find, install one of the HDDs and try to install onto that. Then remove it and install the pre-loaded HDD onto the target machine. You will then get some driver hardware recognition problems, but that has worked about 6 out of 10 for me It doesn't work for laptops though.........well I never have gotten it to.