Hello all,

I would like to pose a question.

I've been reading the threads (as much as I could) in the IDS-section but still I have a question about IDS.

At home I have a small network which both my girlfriend and my parents use for workrelated stuff which has to do with money (it's a ligit bussines) ..let's keep it simple

Now I want to secure this network as much as possible.

I have a router with built in firewall from SMC and a cable connection connected to it.
Now this firewall ..I don't know if it is something good or not and if I should put an extra one on each pc ..like zonealarm or something or not?

Secondly as a form of extra security but also to study and learn from it I have 1 extra box with a PIII 550 and 128mb and 2 nic and W2K pro (but can be changed) which I would like to use for IDS.

Now the Question about this is:

Can I install Snort on it with MySQL and put 1 nic on the outside of the network (between the cablemodem and the router/firewall) and the other on the inside (behind the router/firewall) or do you guys think this machine isn't up for it or should I put it elsewhere ...as this isn't only to play around with I thought you experts out there could help me decide?

Or as a final thougt should I loose the router/firewall and use something else entirely ...suggestions welcome.

Hope you guys can help me decide here

Thanks in advance.