Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spyware in the Window's Registry

Question Spyware in the Window's Registry

Is it possible for spyware to some how weave it's way into the registry, when i have a firewall and virus scan. How can or does it get passed a firewall. I have a WinXP SP 1.

Spyware has nothing to do with a firewall or A/V software. Firewall's only moniter/control traffic incoming and outgoing to your PC and A/V is to alert you when you have a virus. And as for the original question, yes most spyware does weave it's way into the registry. This is done mostly so that it remain's resident in the system and it's memory.
    Space For Rent.. =]

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    Is it possible for spyware to some how weave it's way into the registry, when i have a firewall and virus scan
    Yes it is very possible for spyware to make it's way into the windows registry even with a firewall. Anti-Virus is made to detect viruses, worms, it's not made to detect spyware/adware thats what spybot seek-and-destroy are used for.

How can or does it get passed a firewall. I have a WinXP SP 1.
    Even if a firewall is enabled, you set the firewall to allow traffic on port 80 (www, http) allowing you to have access to webpages that may contain malicious html scripts, javascripts, active x allowing access for spyware/adware to be installed on your system. Like other members say set Internet explorer to prompt for javascript, disable active x, .vbs, .wsh, etc...

I also highly recommend going to www.privacy.net and do a scan on your computer.
    Privacy Analysis of your Internet Connection Some Information that is collected about you when visiting a web site
    This will show you what you have enabled for example, .vbs, javascript, shockwave, your current location a little bit of other useful information. Help you to secure your browser and surfing habits. Recommend checking this out aswell it allows you to download software that willprevent spyware from being installed on your PC in the first place http://www.antionline.com/showthread...778#post743778

Hope this helps, Computernerd22

Hey Hey,

CN22 gave you great advice when he (sexist assumption) mentioned SpyBot S&D, even though he didn't directly link you to it. http://www.safer-networking.org is the website for SpyBot S&D and even if you have 1.2, I highly suggest visiting and updating to 1.3. The changes are amazing. V. 1.3 will now lock your hosts file, and other files that spyware likes to change, it immunizes 1700+ items of web related malware.. up from 600+ in V 1.2. It also includes Tea Timer (I believe they called it). It's a resident application that monitors for registry changes and spyware install attempts... etc. It also updates from 13000+ pieces of malware to over 16000+. It's a great update and definately worth the download. Switch to Advanced mode and be sure to check out the tools. That's where you'll find host file locking, system startup processes and other interesting lil utilities.

Peace,
    HT

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar
    CN22 gave you great advice when he (sexist assumption) mentioned SpyBot S&D, even though he didn't directly link you to it
    Sorry about that I should have posted the url for it. The reason I didnt link him directly to it was because I posted the link to click on instead that will take you to download various spyware tools, and try different online scanners. Nice reply HTRegz

Can spyware cause your computer to crash unexpectedly. Because my computer turns it self off after about an hour or so for no apparent reason.

Tetrismaster101,

I would imagine that there is some malware out there onery enough to do that. However, I'd get the temp of you CPU etc. If you don't have a meter in your OS that tells you what you temps are and the general health of your computer, check in your setup. I'd do this pretty quick, overheating can do some serious damage. Newer CPUs may be capable of going into a self-preservation mode and shut down so that could be what's happening. If I remember a thread from the other day correctly, it was about 20 degrees below max when the computers where shutting down. Do a search in AO and I'm sure you'll find the threads.

Additionally check all your fans to make sure they are working if need be add some more before you toast stuff. Dust and stuff in the heat sinks could also cause overheating, so while your at it, get some of the blast-off (air in a can) and clean things up.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Hey, tetrismaster

Go into setup in your BIOS and turn all "advanced power management" options so that the machine is on all the time.

Go into your display manager and do the same thing............and get rid of that "cool" screensaver..............I am not going to be polite here so what the hell.....

If you have a brain and an opposable thumb I think that you will know when to turn the screen and other components on and off? all by yourself?

Let the machine do it, and face the consequences..........I am serious, about 40% of those sorts of problems are caused by those "real cool" features...........I don't know why.............I don't want to..........I suspect conflict with AV, firewalls, autoupdates and so on?

Check that all your fans are running properly, are not obstrusted, are clean etc. Heat can cause the problem as well, but it is usually the "clever" software.

Just me reshuffling my prejudices

EDIT:

Go to http://www.diamondcs.com.au

And get their free "RegistryProt" software. This will warn you when Registry changes are about to take place.............you will have to get rid of the malware yourself so try:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

And run their online scanner (free).............you might like to bookmark that link, you never know when it might come in handy?

Upon start up it shows the Dell logo, then immediatly after that it say's "Alert: CPU fan not detected". so I turned every thing off and "ripped" apart the computer, to check the power connections and everything was connected properly. So I have no clue why it says that.

I recently downloaded spyhunter from download.com and did a scan of my system and it came up with a spyware parisite called SeekSeek in the windows registry, but it would not let me remove it. Say I have to buy the full version in order to get that feature.