Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AO Addict Status

AO Addict Status

Greet's Mod's and Admin's of AO. I was wondering (and this post might not be friendly with the newbie's/jr member's) about the post level of the AntiOnline Addict's earlier. If you look at the site, almost 80% of the site is comprised of Addict's/Senior's because the post barrier (275) is so low. I think it should be raised a little, especially being it is the last (and really only) post related thing on the website. For instance, with people having 1,500+ post's a regular here, the AO Addict post minimum should be raised. I mean you have so many people with WAAAAYYY over 275 (even 400 for that matter) but after you get the 275 then that's it. The only site benefit that's post related was just accomplished (and quite easily). So yeah, I'ma stop rambling and hear what the mod's/etc think.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Why does it really matter? Post count means nothing. I've never liked the idea of a forum that you have to post a lot to get into. I'm here primarily to read and learn, occasionally posting where I can help someone or share my opinion. So why is it that I'm forced to post if I want to read some good security discussions?

You want the requirement to be raised... Is there something that goes on in the Addicts forum that you don't want us young members to know about? Free pr0n?

Anyways, if the number was raised, we'd probably have a lot more post pumping coming from newbs who want to get into that forum and spam it to death.

PLEASE don't raise it I MUST get in there ASAP! It's my goal in life! (just kidding)

mjk

Banned
    The Addicts forum is just a General Chit Chat forum really and sometimes if somebody has a really difficult problem they will post it there. Terr wanted it to be an invite only forum origanally which is now a possibility, throw all of us out of addicts and get people posting again in order to get invited for being a good member or something.

I have to admit I agree with mjk on this score - it's only going to lead to even more post whorage etc. Addicts is only like a reward for sticking around and not being a complete pain in the ass. Its a place where we can (but rarely) talk about stuff you wouldn't want the skiddiots on the boards to be in on. Unfortunately that also means some of the 'junior' (interms of postage) members don't get to add their (sometimes valuable) input but hey you've got to have some kind of 'selection process'.

mjk - trust me not a lot goes on in addicts - certainly not free pr0n
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

I understand where your coming from but sticking around at 275 post's mean's nothing when we have member's in the 3,000's. And I agree, the site is for learning about security and whatnot, I'm just saying.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Addicts is no different from general chat really. The post count is sufficiently high to keep out idiots who just sign up and post crap to annoy people, but low enough so that it is open to everyone who has been here a while without needing to become a post whore.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

AO French Antique News Whore
    I want to add to Spyder32 post in a different sence. Their too much people with 400 post now. They should be more level after 400 post! The suggestion was allready made to combine post/ap to make a title but it was difficult to code.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Originally posted here by pwaring
    Addicts is no different from general chat really. The post count is sufficiently high to keep out idiots who just sign up and post crap to annoy people, but low enough so that it is open to everyone who has been here a while without needing to become a post whore.
    Heh, yeah. You make a pretty good point pwaring.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Banned
    We've been discussing an extra site benefit that would be based on post count a while ago, and here are some figures:

- Users with 3000+ posts: 4
    - Users with 2000-3000 posts: 6
    - Users with 1500-2000 posts: 8
    - Users with 1000-1500 posts: 20
    - Users with 500 - 1000 posts: 85
    - Users with 275 - 500 posts: 110

That means there are currently 233 users with Addict+ status.
    On a total of 55,000 more or less active users, that's only 2.4%.
    But if you compare it to users with 50+ posts (there's only 825 of those), that's 27%.

Yeah but Neg, how do you figure 55,000 active member's?? I mean your above figure's are correct, but I highly doubt we have 55,000 active member's. And I'm basing it on the fact that actively there are more Senior's/Addict's than newbie's and whatnot. But oh well, doesn't matter. Pwaring's post made sense, so it doesn't matter. Another site benefit would be cool though, what was in mind Negative?
    Space For Rent.. =]