Thread: Avast: any good?

Avast: any good?

I am currently using avast home edition. O was a long time user of Norton, but because I am cheap, I have switched to a free antivirus program. Are there any better ones than avast? I know this is kind of a newb question, but thanks for the help anyway.
    \"The wise programmer is told about Tao and follows it. The average programmer is told about Tao and searches for it. The foolish programmer is told about Tao and laughs at it.
    If it were not for laughter, there would be no Tao.\"

I don't know about Avast, but I've always used AVG. There's a free version and a professional version. The free version works like a charm for me. It's easy to update the reference file, set scheduled scans, etc. Here's their home page:

www.grisoft.com

mjk

G'day RedHawk,

I believe the best AV program out there is the one that provides frequent updates and the user has those updates installed on his computer. And, he/she is also employing a layered defense which includes a firewall, malware protection/elimination, AV, etc. Basically, you want to put a condom around your computer nothing goes out nothing gets in unless you specify when and where.

I don't really know if there is a "best AV" anymore. I'm sure we all have our preferences. And as such, I would recommend that you try different ones as well until you find one that fits your needs. There are many free ones available and as MJK has suggested AVG is a great one.

There has become quite the competition, not only for the $ versions of Av but also with the free versions. They are trying to put out the best product they can so we will mention their name in a favored manner and procure the version with more bells and whistles.

cheers.
    Connection refused, try again later.

I'm currently runnig Avast and I like it very much. It's frequently updated and free. However if you want to try something else, and here I asume you use Windows, try this link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/pr.../antivirus.asp
    It leads to a free one-year trial of EZArmor (By Computer Associates).
    Just my $0.2.
    \"Great spirits always encounter strong opposition from mediocre minds.\"
    Albert Einstein