I've recently been thinking about a little project that I'd like to do. At the moment I share a car with my mum, but if I get a car of my own, I'd like to make some slight modifications ("what does this have to do with computers?" you ask!) Anyhow, I was thinking that I could create a cheap computer (thus it would run linux) with a touchscreen that I would mount in the front of the car (and an external hard drive that I could take into the house to load songs, etc. on to it).

My question is, does anyone know any linux compatible touch screens, and how they work (how they are connected to your computer). Also, another problem I've been wondering about is the fact that I don't wanna manually shut down the computer every time I stop the car...any suggestions?

I'll keep on searching the web, but if anyone has had experience with something similar I'd be grateful if you could reply. Thanks.

ac

[edit] could someone also explain what the difference between resistive, capacitive and SAW touchscreens? (I understand what resistance and capacitance are...) [/edit]