Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AO Newsletter #13: Delayed...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

AO Newsletter #13: Delayed...

Due to a lack of submitted articles (read: NONE), I'm delaying this issue by 3 weeks. The new deadline will be June 11th, 2004.

I'm interested in articles on pretty much any computer/security related topic. Discuss a worm. Discuss a new tool (I'm still working on the Ettercap one). Discuss a new idea or way of doing something. How to lock down a system.

Send me a PM or an email (msmittens@msmittens.com) if you are interested. I prefer text, rich text, open office or word doc please.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I would, but I'm such a *****up at these thing's that I don't wanna screw up the newsletter. Nah, just kidding.. umm, I'll try and write an article about something and then PM it to you and you can lemme know if it can go in the newsletter?
    Space For Rent.. =]

Banned
    Perhaps MsMittens there could be something on the front page to get more of a presence for the newsletter?

The letter has been going a while so a drop off in articles is boud to happen or how about a post in which people posting articles in the security or other tutorials forum to not do so but submit them to the zine?

MsMittens I did a 7-8 page report on computer forensics. If you'd like I can send it to you, but it might need a little bit of proof editing.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I've meant to ask this a bunch of times before but haven't gotten around to it. Now, don't take this the wrong way because I am seriously asking a question, not busting chops. OK?

Now, what purpose does the newsletter fill that the forums don't already facilitate? In other words, what's the benefit? I've read most of the previous newsletters and I can see a very clear similarity to content posted in tutorials and such.

Can ya shed some light on it for me? How did the newsletter get started?

Just curious.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Cybr1d, by all means, send it in.

TheHorse13, I think the original concept was to have something that 1) could be read away from the computer 2) would offer more indepth reviews, articles, tutorials with graphics (not something that every does with existing posting formats) 3) get a point across with less "noise" 4) well, cuz it sounded kewl!
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

Banned
    I guess I should take responsibility for asking that question MsMittens. Basically it came a bout from a thread and a discussion with JP on IRC, I thought it would be a good idea and lots of people offered to do stuff. So it just started as something to to get members involved, of course MsMittens took over cos she has the skills to make it look good and here we are!

"I'm interested in articles on pretty much any computer/security related topic."

perhaps this is to broad to inspire. maybe asking for articles within a certain "theme" would help. such as this month im looking for articles on internet worms, how they infect how to get rid of them etc. or packet capturing in another. maybe an issue devoted to spyware. so besides just being something to read offline it could actually be a resource.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

tedob1, I have tried that.. with no success. Because at best I get maybe 5 submissions total having a theme makes it hard to get any.

have you trying assigning topics to any that want to write but dont have direction? or maybe a list to choose from, maybe even a reader 'requests' column.

is there a way to assigning anti-points to someone that submits an article. positive only of course or increasing one status on the boards. maybe even a (ssshhh!) anti-point conspiracy among senior members that want this to succeed? not for each other of course...just throwen out ideas.

like we have tuts written and security tuts written, maybe articles submitted?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”