Thread: Linux + No network connection

Linux + No network connection

I have just installed Fedora Core 2 on my server (Not this computer but my other one). Just like last time with Fedora Core 1, I seem to have no internet connection. I cant view or do anything associated to the internet. I have connected the server and this computer to a switch, and then to the cable modem, which has been working fine for a long time. I have no idea why it wont work either. Any suggestions?

Hey Hey,

The reason it won't work is a very simple one. Your cable modem only has a single IP address which it assigns to the first IP to connect. That means since your main box connected first, it has the IP address (and it may possibly be linked to your MAC Address on the Cable end of things.. which means even if you use only your other PC you're screwed unless you call and ask them to release the MAC Address). You'll have to either talk to your cable company about getting a second ip address (here they charge you 10 bucks a month for it), or else invest in a router. I suppose you could also enable Internet Connection sharing on your main PC and then run your Linux box through it, however that would require 2 NICs in the first PC and it would have to be on to use the Linux Box,

Peace,
    HT

If this computer had windows XP on it, it would be able to connect. Ive done it before, but the hard drive failed. It isnt that, its something with linux.

I have a router as well.

Hey Hey,

If you are plugging into a router that changes things a great deal, you need to mention these things right away so we can better answer you questions

Anyways... You've got a few places to start now. Check for link lights on the back of your PC and on the router (one or the other will do, but redundancy is always good). Type ipconfig and see if you have eth0 or eth1 or anything other than lo listed. Type lsmod and see if you can see anything related to your network card, or paste the output here and we'll tell you.

I'm a little curious.. You mentioned Fedora on one post and RH 9 on another. Are you working on two different PCs here?

Anyways check the output of those commands and get back to us.

Peace,
    HT

I installed RH9 when I found out it was free , but now I realise its definatly for experts. I have no knowledge of linux . I'll get back to you on the other stuff when I get back from school.