Thread: new computer!!!

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar

new computer!!!

hey,
    I just got a new compter. 1gb ram 3.2ghz processor blah blah. Its great. Going from a shitty win98 six year old computer to this. The problem is that I have a second account set up for guests friends extra. When I try to get online with their account it won't let me stay on the internet. Then it says problem with saving preferences. How can I fix this??? Its windows xp professionial. thanx

Is it dial up or broadband?

What provider?
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    dial up, net zero

You probably need to change the permissions on the netzero folder that it is trying to save to? I dunno... I've never used it.

If there is no log being created... then use something like filemon to monitor which files are being accessed. Its possible that you need to allow them to write to the registry too... you can use regmon to monitor the registry. they are available at www.systernals.com

Or, another workaround wou be to temporarily change the user to be an admin, make changed needed, then change them back...

If you want to learn more... then use the utilities.

If you just want a quick fix... make admin, change, then restrict them again.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Well I have Netzero... IT SUCKS!!! I hate it.

Never had that problem though..

Try this page at netzero.net. It has some common error messages and ways to fix the problems.

Good luck

mjk

Just Another Geek
    Logon with an account that has admin privileges (I'm assuming you're running XP now).
    When creating your dialup networking windows will ask you if you want every user to be able to use it or just the current user. If you choose to enable it for every user dial in once and have it save the password. It should now be ready for use and dial out automagicly when needed regardless of the current logged on user.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Could have bought one of these.
    MachL 3.8
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57

Make sure you have permissions for that specific program granted for the gues account. If it does not allow it for some strange reason, turn off the gues account make a enw account, non-admin of course, and allow it to connect to the net but turn off other privledges that you dont want your friends to have, you may want to aso set a password for that second account just in case an unfriendly person gets near the box.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Another thing that comes to mind. When you installed Net Zero, did you install for all users or just yourself?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

It's a permission's problem (more than likely). You either didn't set it during the installation of netzero to include the guest's or it wasn't installed in the guest's file folder. Go on the guest's account and re-install. Then see how it work's.
    Space For Rent.. =]