Thread: windows refund

windows refund

Suprisingly I didn't see anywhere on google or on this site exactly how to return windows and get a refund. I read a lot of small claims court stories, etc on google but no clear info on how to go about doing it.

Anyone know how I can return Windows that came pre-installed on my computer?

Thanks
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

http://www.mymsclaim.com/home.html If your in California, or return Windows to the place you bought it.

"END-USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR MICROSOFT WINDOWS 98

IMPORTANT: READ CAREFULLY: This Microsoft End-User License Agreement ("EULA") is a legal agreement between you (either an individual or a single entity) and Microsoft Corporation for the Microsoft software product identified above, which includes computer software and may include associated media, printed materials, and "online" or electronic documentation ("SOFTWARE PRODUCT"). The SOFTWARE PRODUCT also includes any updates and supplements to the original SOFTWARE PRODUCT provided to you by Microsoft. Any software provided along with the SOFTWARE PRODUCT that is associated with a separate end-user license agreement is licensed to you under the terms of that license agreement. By installing, copying, downloading, accessing or otherwise using the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, you agree to be bound by the terms of this EULA. If you do not agree to the terms of this EULA, do not install or use the SOFTWARE PRODUCT; you may, however, return it to your place of purchase for a full refund. "
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I would be curious as to the legal answer here.

Anyone know how I can return Windows that came pre-installed on my computer?
    In my country, that would be considered part of the deal you did with the store, and the computer manufacturer, through them.............Microsoft, per se, were not involved in your contract?

Interesting?

Cheers

A lot of pre installed windows machines here, dont have a Windows disc as such but have a System Recovery disc that havs the Windows installation, plus all of the necessary software and drivers for the machine.

I wouldnt of thought you could return that as you would loose all the other stuff!

It would be good if you could though, Ive got loads of them knocking around! I think I shall look into this... right now infact ....... £££££££££

First impessions are that your pretty much screwed if you live in the UK!

http://www.linuxmafia.com/refund/

:-(

The campaign has yet to take root in the UK. A Microsoft spokeswoman at its Reading headquarters said there had been no reports of anyone turning up at Microsoft offices demanding a refund.

Ive just cut and pasted this:

Naturally, the refund-seekers support other Operating Systems, notably the free Linux open-source software.

According to the end-user licensing agreement that comes with PCs shipped with Windows, the user can request a refund if they do not agree to its terms. But this can mean having to return the whole computer to the manufacturer.

The Windows Refund Center Website advises a new computer should be unpacked, a boot disk for a non-Microsoft OS should be inserted, the machine then turned on and the new OS installed, before a request is made for a refund.

The site says some consumers do not like paying a "Microsoft tax" for any OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) software they do not want and have never used on their machine.

"This is only an issue because so many OEMs flatly refuse to sell a machine without Microsoft's OS on it. Some saying that their agreements with Microsoft require them to pay Microsoft for an OS for that machine, and to include one as well.

"Some OEMs even go so far as to say that they may not pre-load any non-Microsoft OS. We feel this is monopolistic, strong-arm, and restrictive of consumer choice,"

Kinda makes you realize what a monopoly microsoft has on the computer world!

Well i have managed to find the definitive guide on

"How to get a refund for unused Windows o/s's"

http://windowsrefund.net/modules.php...rder=1&thold=0

Or you can sign the petitiion:

http://www.petitiononline.com/wrp4tais/petition.html

And if you live in the US, phone this guy:

Waggener Edstrom who is the Piracy, Human Resources, Legal Issues spoksman for M/$ on (503) 443-7000 !

I would be rather amusing to hear what he says when some one asks him for a refund!

Id phone myself but it would be a tad expensisve from the UK!